On fairness of equilibria in economies with differential information
The paper proposes a notion of fairness which overcomes the conflict arising between efficiency and the absence of envy in economies with uncertainty and asymmetrically informed agents. We do it in general economies which include, as particular cases, the main models of differential information economies, providing in this framework a natural competitive equilibrium notion which satisfies the fair criterion. The analysis is conducted allowing the presence of large traders, which may cause the lack of perfect competition. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Myerson, Roger B, 1983.
"Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information,"
Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1799-819, November.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Roger B. Myerson, 1981. "Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information," Discussion Papers 495, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Carlos Hervés-Beloso & Emma Moreno-García & Nicholas Yannelis, 2005. "Characterization and incentive compatibility of Walrasian expectations equilibrium in infinite dimensional commodity spaces," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 361-381, 08.
- Herves-Beloso, Carlos & Moreno-Garcia, Emma & Yannelis, Nicholas C., 2005. "An equivalence theorem for a differential information economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 844-856, November.
- Kobayashi, Takao, 1980. "Equilibrium Contracts for Syndicates with Differential Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1635-65, November.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00086032 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Marc Tallon, 2002.
"Fairness under Uncertainty,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Maria Laura Pesce, 2011. "Are Asymmetrically Informed Agents Envious?," CSEF Working Papers 292, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Marialaura Pesce, 2010. "On mixed markets with asymmetric information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 23-53, October.
- de Clippel, Geoffroy, 2008.
"Equity, envy and efficiency under asymmetric information,"
Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 265-267, May.
- Geoffroy de Clippel, 2004. "Equity, Envy and Efficiency under Asymmetric Information," Working Papers 2004-19, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Greenberg, Joseph & Shitovitz, Benyamin, 1986. "A simple proof of the equivalence theorem for oligopolistic mixed markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 79-83, April.
- JASKOLD GABSZEWICZ, Jean, .
"Coalitinal fairness of allocations in pure exchange economies,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-227, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold, 1975. "Coalitional Fairness of Allocations in Pure Exchange Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(4), pages 661-68, July.
- Wilson, Robert B, 1978. "Information, Efficiency, and the Core of an Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 807-16, July.
- Panzer, Elisha A & Schmeidler, David, 1974. "A Difficulty in the Concept of Fairness," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 441-43, July.
- Geoffroy de Clippel, 2004.
"The Type-Agent Core for Exchange Economies with Asymmetric Information,"
2004-18, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- de Clippel, Geoffroy, 2007. "The type-agent core for exchange economies with asymmetric information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 144-158, July.
- Chiara Donnini & Maria Graziano & Marialaura Pesce, 2014. "Coalitional fairness in interim differential information economies," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 111(1), pages 55-68, February.
- Palfrey, Thomas R & Srivastava, Sanjay, 1987. "On Bayesian Implementable Allocations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 193-208, April.
- De Simone, Anna & Graziano, Maria Gabriella, 2003. "Cone conditions in oligopolistic market models," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 53-73, February.
- Allen, Beth E, 1981. "Generic Existence of Completely Revealing Equilibria for Economies with Uncertainty when Prices Convey Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(5), pages 1173-99, September.
- Ezra Einy & Diego Moreno & Benyamin Shitovitz, 2001. "Competitive and core allocations in large economies with differential information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 321-332.
- Lin Zhou, 1991. "Strictly Fair Allocations in Large Exchange Economies," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 972, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kreps, David M., 1977. "A note on "fulfilled expectations" equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 32-43, February.
- H. R. Varian, 1973.
"Equity, Envy and Efficiency,"
115, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2002:i:18:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- John C. Harsanyi, 1967. "Games with Incomplete Information Played by "Bayesian" Players, I-III Part I. The Basic Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3), pages 159-182, November.
- Yannelis, Nicholas C, 1991. "The Core of an Economy with Differential Information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 183-97, April.
- Chiara Donnini & Maria Gabriella Graziano & Maria Laura Pesce, 2010. "Fairness Properties of Constrained Market Equilibria," CSEF Working Papers 245, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Radner, Roy, 1979. "Rational Expectations Equilibrium: Generic Existence and the Information Revealed by Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 655-78, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:theord:v:76:y:2014:i:4:p:573-599. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.