Measuring currency exposure with quantile regression
In this paper, we explore an alternative explanation of the exposure puzzle, the missing variable bias in previous studies. We propose to correct the bias with the quantile regression technique invented by Koenker and Bassett (Econometrica 46:33–51, 1978 ). Empirically, as soon as we take into account the missing variable bias as well as time variation in currency exposure, we find that 26 out of 30 or 87 % of the US industry portfolios exhibit significant currency exposure to the Major Currencies Index, and 23 out of 30 or 77 % show significant exposure to the Other Important Trading Partners Index. Our results have important theoretical and practical implications. In terms of theoretical significance, our results strengthen the findings in Francis et al. (J Financ Econ 90:169–196, 2008 ), and suggest that methodological weakness, not hedging, may explain the insignificance of currency risk in previous studies. In terms of practical significance, our results suggest a simple yet efficient approach for managers to estimate currency exposure of their firms. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102990|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Brown, Gregory W. & Minton, Bernadette, 2009.
"Resolving the Exposure Puzzle: The Many Facets of Exchange Rate Exposure,"
14041, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Brown, Gregory W. & Minton, Bernadette A., 2010. "Resolving the exposure puzzle: The many facets of exchange rate exposure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 148-173, February.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Harper, Joel T., 2010. "Foreign exchange exposure of "domestic" corporations," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1619-1636, December.
- Alan M. Taylor & Mark Taylor, 2004.
"The Purchasing Power Parity Debate,"
46, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Sohnke M. Bartram, 2002.
"Linear and Nonlinear Foreign Exchange Rate Exposures of German Nonfinancial Corporations,"
- Bartram, Sohnke M., 2004. "Linear and nonlinear foreign exchange rate exposures of German nonfinancial corporations," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 673-699, June.
- Bartram, Söhnke M., 2007.
"Corporate Cash Flow and Stock Price Exposures to Foreign Exchange Rate Risk,"
6662, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bartram, Sohnke M., 2007. "Corporate cash flow and stock price exposures to foreign exchange rate risk," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 981-994, December.
- Patro, Dilip K. & Wald, John K. & Wu, Yangru, 2002. "Explaining exchange rate risk in world stock markets: A panel approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1951-1972, October.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- Bartram, Söhnke M., 2008.
"What lies beneath: Foreign exchange rate exposure, hedging and cash flows,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1508-1521, August.
- Bartram, Söhnke M., 2007. "What Lies Beneath: Foreign Exchange Rate Exposure, Hedging and Cash Flows," MPRA Paper 6661, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, 1.
- Chow, Edward H & Lee, Wayne Y & Solt, Michael E, 1997. "The Exchange-Rate Risk Exposure of Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(1), pages 105-23, January.
- Roger Koenker & Pin Ng, . "SparseM: A Sparse Matrix Package for R ," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(i06).
- Söhnke M. Bartram & Gordon M. Bodnar, 2007.
"The exchange rate exposure puzzle,"
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(9), pages 642-666.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Bartov, Eli & Bodnar, Gordon M, 1994. " Firm Valuation, Earnings Expectations, and the Exchange-Rate Exposure Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1755-85, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:rqfnac:v:41:y:2013:i:3:p:549-566. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.