Measuring currency exposure with quantile regression
In this paper, we explore an alternative explanation of the exposure puzzle, the missing variable bias in previous studies. We propose to correct the bias with the quantile regression technique invented by Koenker and Bassett (Econometrica 46:33–51, 1978 ). Empirically, as soon as we take into account the missing variable bias as well as time variation in currency exposure, we find that 26 out of 30 or 87 % of the US industry portfolios exhibit significant currency exposure to the Major Currencies Index, and 23 out of 30 or 77 % show significant exposure to the Other Important Trading Partners Index. Our results have important theoretical and practical implications. In terms of theoretical significance, our results strengthen the findings in Francis et al. (J Financ Econ 90:169–196, 2008 ), and suggest that methodological weakness, not hedging, may explain the insignificance of currency risk in previous studies. In terms of practical significance, our results suggest a simple yet efficient approach for managers to estimate currency exposure of their firms. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/finance/journal/11156/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Brown, Gregory W. & Minton, Bernadette A., 2010.
"Resolving the exposure puzzle: The many facets of exchange rate exposure,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 148-173, February.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Brown, Gregory W. & Minton, Bernadette, 2009. "Resolving the Exposure Puzzle: The Many Facets of Exchange Rate Exposure," MPRA Paper 14041, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Hunter, Delroy M., 2008. "Does hedging tell the full story? : Reconciling differences in US aggregate and industry-level exchange rate risk premia," Research Discussion Papers 14/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Alan M. Taylor & Mark P. Taylor, 2004. "The Purchasing Power Parity Debate," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 135-158, Fall.
- Alan M. Taylor & Mark Taylor, 2004. "The Purchasing Power Parity Debate," Working Papers 46, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Taylor, Alan M. & Taylor, Mark P, 2004. "The Purchasing Power Parity Debate," CEPR Discussion Papers 4495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alan M. Taylor & Mark P. Taylor, 2004. "The Purchasing Power Parity Debate," NBER Working Papers 10607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bartram, Sohnke M., 2007. "Corporate cash flow and stock price exposures to foreign exchange rate risk," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 981-994, December.
- Bartram, Söhnke M., 2007. "Corporate Cash Flow and Stock Price Exposures to Foreign Exchange Rate Risk," MPRA Paper 6662, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bartram, Sohnke M., 2004. "Linear and nonlinear foreign exchange rate exposures of German nonfinancial corporations," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 673-699, June.
- Sohnke M. Bartram, 2002. "Linear and Nonlinear Foreign Exchange Rate Exposures of German Nonfinancial Corporations," Finance 0207001, EconWPA.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Bodnar, Gordon, 2005. "The Exchange Rate Exposure Puzzle," MPRA Paper 6482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005. "Quantile Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731, September.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001. "Quantile Regression," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005. "Quantile Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, August.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-345, July.
- Chow, Edward H & Lee, Wayne Y & Solt, Michael E, 1997. "The Exchange-Rate Risk Exposure of Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(1), pages 105-123, January.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-636, May-June.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Harper, Joel T., 2010. "Foreign exchange exposure of "domestic" corporations," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1619-1636, December.
- Bartram, Söhnke M., 2008. "What lies beneath: Foreign exchange rate exposure, hedging and cash flows," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1508-1521, August.
- Bartram, Söhnke M., 2007. "What Lies Beneath: Foreign Exchange Rate Exposure, Hedging and Cash Flows," MPRA Paper 6661, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Patro, Dilip K. & Wald, John K. & Wu, Yangru, 2002. "Explaining exchange rate risk in world stock markets: A panel approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1951-1972, October.
- Bartov, Eli & Bodnar, Gordon M, 1994. " Firm Valuation, Earnings Expectations, and the Exchange-Rate Exposure Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1755-1785, December.
- Koenker, Roger & Ng, Pin, 2003. "SparseM: A Sparse Matrix Package for R ," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 8(i06).
- Söhnke M. Bartram, 2007. "The exchange rate exposure puzzle," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(9), pages 642-666, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:rqfnac:v:41:y:2013:i:3:p:549-566. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.