Cost Savings From Generation and Distribution with an Application to Italian Electric Utilities
In the last decade, the European Commission promoted a new regulatory framework aiming at a gradual liberalization of the energy markets. The introduction of competition among generators implies the need to separate generation from transmission and distribution activities. However, if savings can be reached by operating at different stages, vertical separation would increase the costs of providing power. This paper tests for the presence of economies from vertical integration on a sample of Italian local electric utilities and finds evidence of both multi-stage economies of scale and vertical economies. Even if the hypothesis of global subadditivity is not supported, our evidence suggests that a complete divestiture policy would entail efficiency losses. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2005
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ivaldi, M & McCullough, G J, 2001.
"Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 161-82, March.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," IDEI Working Papers 93, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ivaldi, M. & McCullough, G., 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Papers 99.526, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Gilsdorf, Keith, 1994. "Vertical integration efficiencies and electric utilities: A cost complementarity perspective," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 261-282.
- Piacenza, Massimiliano & Vannoni, Davide, 2004. "Choosing among alternative cost function specifications: an application to Italian multi-utilities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 415-422, March.
- Michele Polo & Carlo Scarpa, 2003. "The liberalization of energy markets in Europe and Italy," Working Papers 230, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Primeaux, Walter J, Jr, 1977. "An Assessment of X-Efficiency Gained through Competition," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(1), pages 105-08, February.
- Pulley, Lawrence B & Braunstein, Yale M, 1992. "A Composite Cost Function for Multiproduct Firms with an Application to Economies of Scope in Banking," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 221-30, May.
- Nemoto, Jiro & Goto, Mika, 2004. "Technological externalities and economies of vertical integration in the electric utility industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 67-81, January.
- Giovanni Fraquelli & Massimiliano Piacenza & Davide Vannoni, 2004. "Scope and scale economies in multi-utilities: evidence from gas, water and electricity combinations," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(18), pages 2045-2057.
- Garcia, Serge & Moreaux, Michel & Reynaud, Arnaud, 2007.
"Measuring economies of vertical integration in network industries: An application to the water sector,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 791-820, August.
- Garcia, Serge & Moreaux, Michel & Reynaud, Arnaud, 2004. "Measuring Economies of Vertical Integration in Network Industries: an Application to the Water Sector," IDEI Working Papers 255, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:regeco:v:28:y:2005:i:3:p:289-308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.