Procyclical Productivity and Output Growth in China: An Econometric Analysis
This paper analyzes the procyclical behavior of Chinese Total Factor Productivity (TFP). It shows that measured Solow residuals are correlated to the growth rate of real imports per worker and to other macroeconomic variables that fluctuate at cyclical frequencies. The magnitude of the trend shift in TFP after the start of economic reforms in 1978 is found to be robust to the introduction of cyclical factor utilization and other systematic influences on productivity. The propagation mechanisms of macroeconomic shocks to output are also evaluated on the basis of a seven-variable VAR system. The empirical results indicate that the growing openness of the economy has contributed to sustaining the observed long run productivity increases and has raised spatial inequality. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2002
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bean, Charles R., 1990.
"Endogenous growth and the procyclical behaviour of productivity,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 355-363, May.
- Bean, C., 1989. "Endogenous Growth And The Procyclical Behaviour Of Productivity," Papers 369, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Fleisher, Belton M & Dong, Keyong & Liu, Yunhua, 1996. "Education, Enterprise Organization, and Productivity in the Chinese Paper Industry," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(3), pages 571-87, April.
- Dale W. Jorgenson, 1991. "Productivity and Economic Growth," NBER Chapters, in: Fifty Years of Economic Measurement: The Jubilee of the Conference on Research in Income and Wealth, pages 19-118 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- Zuliu F. Hu & Mohsin S. Khan, 1997.
"Why Is China Growing So Fast?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(1), pages 103-131, March.
- Murakami Naoki & Liu Deqiang & Otsuka Keijiro, 1994. "Technical and Allocative Efficiency among Socialist Enterprises: The Case of the Garment Industry in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 410-433, December.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1991.
"The Cleansing Effect of Recessions,"
NBER Working Papers
3922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen, Chien-Hsun, 1989. "Monetary aggregates and macroeconomic performance in Mainland China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 314-324, June.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Wing Thye Woo, 1997.
"Understanding China's Economic Performance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1793, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Wing Thye Woo, . "Understanding China'S Economic Performance," Department of Economics 97-04, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Wing Thye Woo, 1997. "Understanding China's Economic Performance," NBER Working Papers 5935, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hehui Jin & Yingyi Qian, 1998. "Public Versus Private Ownership Of Firms: Evidence From Rural China," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(3), pages 773-808, August.
- Chow, G.C., 1990.
"Capital Formation And Economic Growth In China,"
356, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Jefferson, Gary H., 1990. "China's iron and steel industry : Sources of enterprise efficiency and the impact of reform," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 329-355, October.
- Knight, J. & Song, L., 1990.
"The Spatial Contribution To Income Inequality In Rural China,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99106, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Knight, John & Song, Lina, 1993. "The Spatial Contribution to Income Inequality in Rural China," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 195-213, June.
- Corsetti, G. & Pesenti, P. & Roubini, N., 1998.
"What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?,"
343, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1999. "What caused the Asian currency and financial crisis?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-373, October.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 343, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:2:y:1998:i:3:p:322-44 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, .
"The Productivity of Nations,"
96012, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 1996. "Technological change: Rediscovering the engine of productivity growth in China's rural economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 337-369, May.
- Islam, Rizwanul & Hehui, Jin, 1994. "Rural industrialization: An engine of prosperity in postreform rural China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(11), pages 1643-1662, November.
- McMillan, John & Whalley, John & Zhu, Lijing, 1989. "The Impact of China's Economic Reforms on Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 781-807, August.
- Chen, Jian & Fleisher, Belton M., 1996. "Regional Income Inequality and Economic Growth in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 141-164, April.
- Wong, Christine P. W., 1987. "Between plan and market: The role of the local sector in post-mao China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 385-398, September.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 1993.
"International Comparisons of Educational Attainment,"
NBER Working Papers
4349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong-Wha, 1993. "International comparisons of educational attainment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 363-394, December.
- Hallman, Jeffrey J & Porter, Richard D & Small, David H, 1991. "Is the Price Level Tied to the M2 Monetary Aggregate in the Long Run?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 841-58, September.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sergio, 1993.
"Labor Hoarding and the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 245-73, April.
- De Palma, Andre & Marcucci, Edoardo & Niskanen, E. & Verhoef, Erik, 2007. "Introduction," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 36, pages 1-3.
- Aghion, Philippe & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1998. "VIRTUES OF BAD TIMES Interaction Between Productivity Growth and Economic Fluctuations," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 322-344, September.
- Borensztein, Eduardo & Ostry, Jonathan D, 1996. "Accounting for China's Growth Performance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 224-28, May.
- Wolff, Edward N, 1991. "Capital Formation and Productivity Convergence over the Long Term," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 565-79, June.
- Reynolds, Bruce L., 1987. "Trade, employment, and inequality in postreform China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 479-489, September.
- Basu, Susanto, 1996.
"Procyclical Productivity: Increasing Returns or Cyclical Utilization?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 719-51, August.
- Susanto Basu, 1995. "Procyclical Productivity: Increasing Returns or Cyclical Utilization?," NBER Working Papers 5336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nolan, Peter, 1996. "Large Firms and Industrial Reform in Former Planned Economies: The Case of China," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Jefferson, Gary H. & Xu, Wenyi, 1991. "The impact of reform on socialist enterprises in transition: Structure, conduct, and performance in Chinese industry," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 45-64, March.
- Parker Elliott, 1995. "Shadow Factor Price Convergence and the Response of Chinese State-Owned Construction Enterprises to Reform," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 54-81, August.
- Haishun Sun & Phillip Hone & Hristos Doucouliago, 1999. "Economic openness and technical efficiency: A case study of Chinese manufacturing industries," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(3), pages 615-636, November.
- David Burton & Wanda Tseng & Kalpana Kochhar & Hoe Ee Khor & Dubravko Mihaljek, 1994. "Economic Reform in China: A New Phase," IMF Occasional Papers 114, International Monetary Fund.
- Chang, Ha-Joon & Palma, Gabriel & Whittaker, D Hugh, 1998. "The Asian Crisis: Introduction," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 649-52, November.
- Edward C. Prescott, 1997.
"Needed: a theory of total factor productivity,"
242, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jorgenson, Dale W, 1988. "Productivity and Economic Growth in Japan and the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 217-22, May.
- Rozelle Scott, 1994. "Rural Industrialization and Increasing Inequality: Emerging Patterns in China's Reforming Economy," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 362-391, December.
- Imai Hiroyuki, 1994. "China's Endogenous Investment Cycle," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 188-216, October.
- Lee, Keun, 1990. "The Chinese model of the socialist enterprise: An assessment of its organization and performance," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 384-400, September.
- Young, Alwyn, 1995. "The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 641-80, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:13:y:2002:i:3:p:251-274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.