Small and medium enterprise theory: evidence for Chinese TVEs
The research analyses small and medium enterprises (SMEs), i.e. township and village enterprises (TVEs), operating in rural China over the last decade. It focuses on factors that affect the growth of TVEs run by Township and Village (TV), defined as collective, at provincial level. The paper examines SME theory and the role of human capital in the SMEs development. Following this, it analyses the development of Chinese TVEs and their role in the socio-economic development of rural areas and of the national economy. A panel analysis is then performed, using provincial panel data of collective TVEs over the period 1986-93, in order to capture the major determinants of provincial growth. The results of the panel estimations highlight some important features of TVEs run by TV sector, and provide empirical evidence in support to the positive role of clustering (measured through a new index) and human capital in the provincial growth of this sector. Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 11 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Islam, Rizwanul & Hehui, Jin, 1994. "Rural industrialization: An engine of prosperity in postreform rural China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(11), pages 1643-1662, November.
- Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel & Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "A Survey of Functional Forms in the Economic Analysis of Production," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 4 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Christopher Heady, 1998.
"Local Government Finance and Industrial Policy in China,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 195-212, May.
- Heady, Christopher, 1998. " Local Government Finance and Industrial Policy in China," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 31(2-3), pages 195-212.
- Dwight H. Perkins, 1994. "Completing China's Move to the Market," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 23-46, Spring.
- M Weitzman & Chenggang Xu, 1993.
"Chinese Township Village Enterprises as Vaguely Defined Cooperations,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0155, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Weitzman Martin L. & Xu Chenggang, 1994. "Chinese Township-Village Enterprises as Vaguely Defined Cooperatives," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-145, April.
- M Weitzman & Cheng-Gang Xu, 1993. "Chinese township village enterprises as vaguely defined cooperations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3754, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Patricia Jones & Abigail Barr, 1996. "Learning by doing in sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Ghana," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 445-466.
- Gary H. Jefferson & Thomas G. Rawski, 1994. "Enterprise Reform in Chinese Industry," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 47-70, Spring.
- Naughton, Barry, 1994. "Chinese Institutional Innovation and Privatization from Below," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 266-70, May.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Taylor, William E., 1981.
"Panel data and unobservable individual effects,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-155, May.
- Rozelle Scott, 1994. "Rural Industrialization and Increasing Inequality: Emerging Patterns in China's Reforming Economy," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 362-391, December.
- Jere R. Behrman, 1996. "Human capital formation, returns and policies: Analytical approaches and research questions," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 341-373.
- Shahid Yusuf, 1994. "China's Macroeconomic Performance and Management during Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 71-92, Spring.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yao, S. & Liu, J., 1995. "Uneven Development of Non-Farm Entreprises and Regional Income Inequality in Rural China," Papers 50, Portsmouth University - Department of Economics.
- Alexandre Rands Barros, 1993. "Some implications of new growth theory for economic development," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(5), pages 531-558, 09.
- Riskin, Carl, 1994. "Chinese Rural Poverty: Marginalized or Dispersed?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 281-84, May.
- Rawski, Thomas G, 1994. "Chinese Industrial Reform: Accomplishments, Prospects, and Implications," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 271-75, May.
- Sachs, J.D. & Woo, W.T., 1994. "Structural Factors in the Economic Reforms of China, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," Papers 94-01, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Murakami Naoki & Liu Deqiang & Otsuka Keijiro, 1994. "Technical and Allocative Efficiency among Socialist Enterprises: The Case of the Garment Industry in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 410-433, December.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- Stewart, Frances & Ghani, Ejaz, 1991. "How significant are externalities for development?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 569-594, June.
- Chang Chun & Wang Yijiang, 1994. "The Nature of the Township-Village Enterprise," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 434-452, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:11:y:1999:i:2:p:197-219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.