Selection system orientations as an explanation for the differences between dual leaders of the same organization in their perception of organizational performance
Abstract We investigate to what extent individual managers operating in a dual leadership structure have different perceptions of how well his/her organization is performing. Using selection system theory we develop hypotheses on the relationships between a leader’s selection system orientation and his/her perception of performance along multiple dimensions: market performance, expert performance and peer performance. The hypotheses are tested using dyadic data from 59 organizations in the performing arts led by two—hierarchically equivalent—managers. Our results show that dual leaders’ differences in terms of market orientation and expert orientation relate positively to perceived performance differences along the same dimensions. This relationship is not found with respect to peer selection orientation. Generally, the relationship between orientation differences and perceived performance differences is stronger if the process of interpreting signals to construct a perception of organizational performance leaves more room for equivocality and uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 20 (2016)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:Via Cairoli 10 40121 Bologna
Web page: http://www.accademiaaidea.it/en
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/new+%26+forthcoming+titles+%28default%29/journal/10997/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winston Kwon & Ian Clarke & Ruth Wodak, 2014. "Micro-Level Discursive Strategies for Constructing Shared Views around Strategic Issues in Team Meetings," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 265-290, March.
- Bhansing, Pawan V. & Leenders, Mark A.A.M. & Wijnberg, Nachoem M., 2012. "Performance effects of cognitive heterogeneity in dual leadership structures in the arts: The role of selection system orientations," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 523-534.
- Denzau, Arthur T & North, Douglass C, 1994.
"Shared Mental Models: Ideologies and Institutions,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 3-31.
- Arthur T. Denzau & Douglass C. North, 1993. "Shared Mental Models: Ideologies and Institutions," Economic History 9309003, EconWPA.
- Sarah Kaplan, 2008. "Framing Contests: Strategy Making Under Uncertainty," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(5), pages 729-752, October.
- Jonah Berger & Alan T. Sorensen & Scott J. Rasmussen, 2010. "Positive Effects of Negative Publicity: When Negative Reviews Increase Sales," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(5), pages 815-827, 09-10.
- Sara L. Keck, 1997. "Top Management Team Structure: Differential Effects by Environmental Context," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(2), pages 143-156, April.
- Govindarajan, V., 1984. "Appropriateness of accounting data in performance evaluation: An empirical examination of environmental uncertainty as an intervening variable," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 125-135, June.
- Glenn B. Voss & Daniel M. Cable & Zannie Giraud Voss, 2000. "Linking Organizational Values to Relationships with External Constituents: A Study of Nonprofit Professional Theatres," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(3), pages 330-347, June.
- Deborah Gladstein Ancona & David F. Caldwell, 1992. "Demography and Design: Predictors of New Product Team Performance," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(3), pages 321-341, August.
- Richard L. Daft & Robert H. Lengel, 1986. "Organizational Information Requirements, Media Richness and Structural Design," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(5), pages 554-571, May.
- Corrado Cuccurullo & Federico Lega, 2013. "Effective strategizing practices in pluralistic settings: the case of Academic Medical Centers," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 17(3), pages 609-629, August.
- Robert E. Morgan & Pierre Berthon, 2008. "Market Orientation, Generative Learning, Innovation Strategy and Business Performance Inter-Relationships in Bioscience Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(8), pages 1329-1353, December.
- Carlo Bagnoli & Marco Vedovato, 2014. "The impact of knowledge management and strategy configuration coherence on SME performance," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 18(2), pages 615-647, May.
- Jerker Denrell, 2004. "Comment: The Performance of Performance," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 8(4), pages 345-349, October.
- Nachoem M. Wijnberg & Gerda Gemser, 2000. "Adding Value to Innovation: Impressionism and the Transformation of the Selection System in Visual Arts," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(3), pages 323-329, June.
- David L. Deephouse & Suzanne M. Carter, 2005. "An Examination of Differences Between Organizational Legitimacy and Organizational Reputation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 329-360, March.
- Zannie Giraud Voss & Daniel M. Cable & Glenn B. Voss, 2006. "Organizational Identity and Firm Performance: What Happens When Leaders Disagree About “Who We Are?”," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(6), pages 741-755, December.
- Frank Hartmann, 2005. "The effects of tolerance for ambiguity and uncertainty on the appropriateness of accounting performance measures," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 41(3), pages 241-264.
- Gerda Gemser & Martine Oostrum & Mark Leenders, 2007. "The impact of film reviews on the box office performance of art house versus mainstream motion pictures," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 31(1), pages 43-63, March.
- Ezra W. Zuckerman & Tai-Young Kim, 2003. "The critical trade-off: identity assignment and box-office success in the feature film industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 27-67, February.
- Karl E. Weick & Kathleen M. Sutcliffe & David Obstfeld, 2005. "Organizing and the Process of Sensemaking," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(4), pages 409-421, August.
- William Starbuck, 2004. "Methodological Challenges Posed by Measures of Performance," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 8(4), pages 337-343, October.
- Cristiana Parisi, 2013. "The impact of organisational alignment on the effectiveness of firms’ sustainability strategic performance measurement systems: an empirical analysis," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 17(1), pages 71-97, February.
- Lloyd C. Harris, 2001. "Market Orientation and Performance: Objective and Subjective Empirical Evidence from UK Companies," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 17-43, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jmgtgv:v:20:y:2016:i:4:d:10.1007_s10997-015-9330-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.