Positive Effects of Negative Publicity: When Negative Reviews Increase Sales
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Nedungadi, Prakash, 1990. " Recall and Consumer Consideration Sets: Influencing Choice without Altering Brand Evaluations," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(3), pages 263-276, December.
- Aner Sela & Baba Shiv, 2009. "Unraveling Priming: When Does the Same Prime Activate a Goal versus a Trait?," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 418-433.
- Lynch, John G, Jr & Srull, Thomas K, 1982. " Memory and Attentional Factors in Consumer Choice: Concepts and Research Methods," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 18-37, June.
- David Godes & Dina Mayzlin, 2009. "Firm-Created Word-of-Mouth Communication: Evidence from a Field Test," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(4), pages 721-739, 07-08.
- Itamar Simonson & Ziv Carmon & Suzanne O'Curry, 1994. "Experimental Evidence on the Negative Effect of Product Features and Sales Promotions on Brand Choice," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(1), pages 23-40.
- Alba, Joseph W & Hutchinson, J Wesley, 1987. " Dimensions of Consumer Expertise," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 411-454, March.
- Hannah, Darlene B & Sternthal, Brian, 1984. " Detecting and Explaining the Sleeper Effect," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 632-642, September.
- Ian Skurnik & Carolyn Yoon & Denise C. Park & Norbert Schwarz, 2005. "How Warnings about False Claims Become Recommendations," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(4), pages 713-724, March.
- Ken Hendricks & Alan Sorensen, 2009. "Information and the Skewness of Music Sales," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(2), pages 324-369, April.
- George J. Stigler, 1961. "The Economics of Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 213-213.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dobrescu, Loretti I. & Luca, Michael & Motta, Alberto, 2013. "What makes a critic tick? Connected authors and the determinants of book reviews," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 96(C), pages 85-103.
- Samadi, Mohammadreza & Nikolaev, Alexander & Nagi, Rakesh, 2016. "A subjective evidence model for influence maximization in social networks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 59(PB), pages 263-278.
- Juan Nicolau & María Santa-María, 2013. "Celebrity endorsers' performance on the “ground” and on the “floor”," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 143-149, June.
- Jacobsen, Grant D., 2015. "Consumers, experts, and online product evaluations: Evidence from the brewing industry," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 126(C), pages 114-123.
- Michela Ponzo & Vincenzo Scoppa, 2015.
"Experts’ awards and economic success: evidence from an Italian literary prize,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 39(4), pages 341-367, November.
- Michela Ponzo & Vincenzo Scoppa, 2013. "Experts’ Awards And Economic Success: Evidence From An Italian Literary Prize," Working Papers 201306, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza "Giovanni Anania" - DESF.
- Ponzo, Michela & Scoppa, Vincenzo, 2015. "Experts' Awards and Economic Success: Evidence from an Italian Literary Prize," IZA Discussion Papers 8765, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michela Ponzo & Vincenzo Scoppa, 2013. "Experts’ Awards and Economic Success: Evidence from an Italian Literary Prize," CSEF Working Papers 335, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- David Tan, 2016. "Making the news: Heterogeneous media coverage and corporate litigation," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(7), pages 1341-1353, July.
- Pawan V. Bhansing & Mark A. A. M. Leenders & Nachoem M. Wijnberg, 2016. "Selection system orientations as an explanation for the differences between dual leaders of the same organization in their perception of organizational performance," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 20(4), pages 907-933, December.
- Trilce Navarrete & Karol J. Borowiecki, 2015.
"Change in access after digitization: Ethnographic collections in Wikipedia,"
ACEI Working Paper Series
AWP-10-2015, Association for Cultural Economics International, revised Oct 2015.
- Trilce Navarrete & Karol Jan Borowiecki, 2016. "Changes in Cultural Consumption: Ethnographic Collections in Wikipedia," Trinity Economics Papers tep1716, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Kummer, Michael, 2014. "Spillovers in networks of user generated content: Pseudo-experimental evidence on Wikipedia," ZEW Discussion Papers 14-132, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Sofie Bitter & Sonja Grabner-Kräuter, 2016. "Consequences of customer engagement behavior: when negative Facebook posts have positive effects," Electronic Markets, Springer;IIM University of St. Gallen, vol. 26(3), pages 219-231, August.
- Michael Scholz & Verena Dorner, 2013. "The Recipe for the Perfect Review?," Business & Information Systems Engineering: The International Journal of WIRTSCHAFTSINFORMATIK, Springer;Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. (GI), vol. 5(3), pages 141-151, June.
- Cleeren, Kathleen, 2015. "Using advertising and price to mitigate losses in a product-harm crisis," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 157-162.
- Brooks, Chris & Godfrey, Chris & Hillenbrand, Carola & Money, Kevin, 2016. "Do investors care about corporate taxes?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 218-248.
- Karthik Sridhar & Ram Bezawada & Minakshi Trivedi, 2012. "Investigating the Drivers of Consumer Cross-Category Learning for New Products Using Multiple Data Sets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(4), pages 668-688, July.
- Keuschnigg, Marc, 2015. "Product Success in Cultural Markets: The Mediating Role of Familiarity, Peers, and Experts," MPRA Paper 63444, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marco Caliendo & Michel Clement & Edlira Shehu, 2015. "The effect of individual professional critics on books’ sales: capturing selection biases from observable and unobservable factors," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 423-436, December.
- Sherry Bartz & Alexander Molchanov & Philip Stork, 2013. "When a celebrity endorser is disgraced: A twenty-five-year event study," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 131-141, June.
- Leif Brandes & Stephan Nüesch & Egon Franck, 2016. "Death-related publicity as informational advertising: evidence from the music industry," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 143-157, March.
- Craig L. Garthwaite, 2012. "You Get a Book! Demand Spillovers, Combative Advertising, and Celebrity Endorsements," NBER Working Papers 17915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:eee:touman:v:62:y:2017:i:c:p:42-53 is not listed on IDEAS
- Park, Sangwon & Nicolau, Juan L., 2015. "Asymmetric effects of online consumer reviews," Annals of Tourism Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 67-83.
- Dina Mayzlin & Yaniv Dover & Judith A. Chevalier, 2012. "Promotional Reviews: An Empirical Investigation of Online Review Manipulation," NBER Working Papers 18340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Tao & Li, Gang & Cheng, T.C.E. & Lai, Kin Keung, 2017. "Welfare economics of review information: Implications for the online selling platform owner," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 184(C), pages 69-79.
- Carsten D. Schultz, 2016. "Insights from consumer interactions on a social networking site: Findings from six apparel retail brands," Electronic Markets, Springer;IIM University of St. Gallen, vol. 26(3), pages 203-217, August.
More about this item
Keywordsnegative publicity; awareness; word of mouth; product success;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormksc:v:29:y:2010:i:5:p:815-827. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/inforea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.