Information and the Skewness of Music Sales
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Rob, Rafael & Waldfogel, Joel, 2006.
"Piracy on the High C's: Music Downloading, Sales Displacement, and Social Welfare in a Sample of College Students,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(1), pages 29-62, April.
- Rafael Rob & Joel Waldfogel, 2004. "Piracy on the High C's: Music Downloading, Sales Displacement, and Social Welfare in a Sample of College Students," NBER Working Papers 10874, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ginger Zhe Jin & Andrew Kato & John A. List, 2010.
"That'S News To Me! Information Revelation In Professional Certification Markets,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(1), pages 104-122, January.
- Ginger Zhe Jin & Andrew Kato & John A. List, 2006. "That's News to Me! Information Revelation in Professional Certification Markets," NBER Working Papers 12390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ginger Jin & Andrew Kato & John List, 2006. "That's news to me! information revelation in professional certification markets," Framed Field Experiments 00162, The Field Experiments Website.
- Kenneth Hendricks & Alan Sorensen & Thomas Wiseman, 2012. "Observational Learning and Demand for Search Goods," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Luis M.B. Cabral, 2000.
"Stretching Firm and Brand Reputation,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 658-673, Winter.
- Cabral, L.M.B., 2000. "Stretching Firm and Brand Reputation," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 00-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Luis Cabral, 2000. "Stretching Firm and Brand Reputation," Working Papers 00-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Jay Pil Choi, 1998. "Brand Extension as Informational Leverage," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(4), pages 655-669.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Hirshleifer, David & Welch, Ivo, 1992.
"A Theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom, and Cultural Change in Informational Cascades,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 992-1026, October.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & David Hirshleifer & Ivo Welch, 2010. "A theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom and cultural change as informational Cascades," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1193, David K. Levine.
- Matthew Gentzkow, 2007. "Valuing New Goods in a Model with Complementarity: Online Newspapers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 713-744, June.
- Ginger Zhe Jin & Phillip Leslie, 2003. "The Effect of Information on Product Quality: Evidence from Restaurant Hygiene Grade Cards," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(2), pages 409-451.
- Alan T. Sorensen, 2007. "BESTSELLER LISTS AND PRODUCT VARIETY -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 715-738, December.
- Birger Wernerfelt, 1988. "Umbrella Branding as a Signal of New Product Quality: An Example of Signalling by Posting a Bond," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(3), pages 458-466, Autumn.
- C. Lanier Benkard, 2000. "Learning and Forgetting: The Dynamics of Aircraft Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 1034-1054, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Beck, Jonathan, 2008. "Diderot´s rule," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Competition and Innovation SP II 2008-13, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Kaniel, Ron & Parham, Robert, 2017.
"WSJ Category Kings – The impact of media attention on consumer and mutual fund investment decisions,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 337-356.
- Kaniel, Ron & Parham, Robert, 2015. "WSJ Category Kings - the impact of media attention on consumer and mutual fund investment decisions," CEPR Discussion Papers 10923, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bourreau, Marc & Doğan, Pınar & Hong, Sounman, 2015.
"Making money by giving it for free: Radiohead’s pre-release strategy for In Rainbows,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 77-93.
- M. Bourreau & P. Dogan & Hong, S, "undated". "Making money by giving it for free: Radiohead's pre-release strategy for In Rainbows," Working Paper 85936, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar & Hong, Sounman, 2014. "Making Money by Giving It for Free: Radiohead's Pre-release Strategy for In Rainbows," Working Paper Series rwp14-032, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Christopher Klein & Shea Slonaker, 2010. "Chart Turnover and Sales in the Recorded Music Industry: 1990–2005," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 36(4), pages 351-372, June.
- Jin-Hyuk Kim & Tin Cheuk Leung, 2013. "Quantifying the Impacts of Digital Rights Management and E-Book Pricing on the E-Book Reader Market," Working Papers 13-03, NET Institute.
- Peukert, Christian & Kretschmer, Tobias, 2014.
"Video Killed the Radio Star? Online Music Videos and Digital Music Sales,"
Annual Conference 2014 (Hamburg): Evidence-based Economic Policy
100530, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Tobias Kretschmer & Christian Peukert, 2014. "Video Killed the Radio Star? Online Music Videos and Digital Music Sales," CEP Discussion Papers dp1265, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kretschmer, Tobias & Peukert, Christian, 2014. "Video killed the radio star? Online music videos and digital music sales," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 60276, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jonah Berger & Alan T. Sorensen & Scott J. Rasmussen, 2010. "Positive Effects of Negative Publicity: When Negative Reviews Increase Sales," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(5), pages 815-827, 09-10.
- Claussen, Jörg & Kretschmer, Tobias & Mayrhofer, Philip, 2010.
"Incentives for Quality over Time – The Case of Facebook Applications,"
Discussion Papers in Business Administration
12500, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Jörg Claussen & Tobias Kretschmer & Philip Mayrhofer, 2012. "Incentives for Quality over Time - The Case of Facebook Applications," CEP Discussion Papers dp1133, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Andrew T. Ching & Tülin Erdem & Michael P. Keane, 2013. "Learning Models: An Assessment of Progress, Challenges and New Developments," Economics Papers 2013-W07, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Keuschnigg, Marc, 2015. "Product Success in Cultural Markets: The Mediating Role of Familiarity, Peers, and Experts," MPRA Paper 63444, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gabriel Natividad & Olav Sorenson, 2011. "Spread Too Thin: Uncertainty Shocks and Diseconomies of Scope," Working Papers 11-04, NET Institute.
- Aguiar, Luis & Martens, Bertin, 2016. "Digital music consumption on the Internet: Evidence from clickstream data," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 27-43.
- repec:kap:jculte:v:41:y:2017:i:4:d:10.1007_s10824-016-9272-y is not listed on IDEAS
- Leif Brandes & Stephan Nüesch & Egon Franck, 2016. "Death-related publicity as informational advertising: evidence from the music industry," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 143-157, March.
- Craig L. Garthwaite, 2012. "You Get a Book! Demand Spillovers, Combative Advertising, and Celebrity Endorsements," NBER Working Papers 17915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:eee:iepoli:v:40:y:2017:i:c:p:26-40 is not listed on IDEAS
- Blomkvist, Katarina & Kappen, Philip & Zander, Ivo, 2014. "Superstar inventors—Towards a people-centric perspective on the geography of technological renewal in the multinational corporation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 669-682.
- Halberstam, Yosh & Montagnes, B. Pablo, 2015. "Presidential coattails versus the median voter: Senator selection in US elections," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(C), pages 40-51.
- Richard Friberg & Erik Grönqvist, 2012. "Do Expert Reviews Affect the Demand for Wine?," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 193-211, January.
- Arai Koki, 2013. "Analyzing the Motivations of a Joint Venture to Provide High-Quality Music Download Service to Mobile Phones," Asian Journal of Law and Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1-2), pages 1-31, December.
- Marc Bourreau & Michel Gensollen & François Moreau & Patrick Waelbroeck, 2013. "“Selling less of more?” The impact of digitization on record companies," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 37(3), pages 327-346, August.
- Brett Danaher & Samita Dhanasobhon & Michael D. Smith & Rahul Telang, 2010. "Converting Pirates Without Cannibalizing Purchasers: The Impact of Digital Distribution on Physical Sales and Internet Piracy," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(6), pages 1138-1151, 11-12.
- Samuel Cameron, 2016. "Past, present and future: music economics at the crossroads," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 40(1), pages 1-12, February.
- Scott Hiller, R., 2016. "Sales displacement and streaming music: Evidence from YouTube," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 16-26.
More about this item
ListsThis item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Information and the Skewness of Music Sales (JPE 2009) in ReplicationWiki
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jpolec:v:117:y:2009:i:2:p:324-369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division). General contact details of provider: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/ .