Spatio-temporal autocorrelation of road network data
Modelling autocorrelation structure among space–time observations is crucial in space–time modelling and forecasting. The aim of this research is to examine the spatio-temporal autocorrelation structure of road networks in order to determine likely requirements for building a suitable space–time forecasting model. Exploratory space–time autocorrelation analysis is carried out using journey time data collected on London’s road network. Through the use of both global and local autocorrelation measures, the autocorrelation structure of the road network is found to be dynamic and heterogeneous in both space and time. It reveals that a global measure of autocorrelation is not sufficient to explain the network structure. Dynamic and local structures must be accounted for space–time modelling and forecasting. This has broad implications for space–time modelling and network complexity. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/regional+science/journal/10109/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manuel Castells, 2010. "Globalisation, Networking, Urbanisation: Reflections on the Spatial Dynamics of the Information Age," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(13), pages 2737-2745, November.
- F Stetzer, 1982. "Specifying Weights in Spatial Forecasting Models: The Results of Some Experiments," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 14(5), pages 571-584, May.
- Dougherty, Mark S. & Cobbett, Mark R., 1997. "Short-term inter-urban traffic forecasts using neural networks," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 21-31, March.
- Daniel Griffith, 2010. "Modeling spatio-temporal relationships: retrospect and prospect," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 111-123, June.
- Leenders, Roger Th.A.J., 2002. "The specification of weight structures in network autocorrelation models of social influence," Research Report 02B09, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Geraldine Pflieger & Celine Rozenblat, 2010. "Introduction. Urban Networks and Network Theory: The City as the Connector of Multiple Networks," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(13), pages 2723-2735, November.
- Kamarianakis, Yiannis & Prastacos, Poulicos, 2002. "Space-time modeling of traffic flow," ERSA conference papers ersa02p141, European Regional Science Association.
- Zengwang Xu & Daniel Sui, 2007. "Small-world characteristics on transportation networks: a perspective from network autocorrelation," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 189-205, June.
- Jeremy Hackney & Michael Bernard & Sumit Bindra & Kay Axhausen, 2007. "Predicting road system speeds using spatial structure variables and network characteristics," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 397-417, December.
- Jiang, Bin, 2007. "A topological pattern of urban street networks: Universality and peculiarity," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 384(2), pages 647-655.
- Yongwan Chun, 2008. "Modeling network autocorrelation within migration flows by eigenvector spatial filtering," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 317-344, December.
- Yang Yue & Anthony Gar-On Yeh, 2008. "Spatiotemporal traffic-flow dependency and short-term traffic forecasting," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 35(5), pages 762-771, September.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:02b09 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jgeosy:v:14:y:2012:i:4:p:389-413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.