A note on mergers and relocation
Posada and Straume (J Econ 83:243–265, 2004 ) analyze a three-firm model of a circular city where two of the firms merge and may choose to relocate. They propose an equilibrium with relocation where taking part in the merger yields higher profits than staying outside, i.e., relocation may solve the so-called merger paradox. In this note, it is shown that the equilibrium candidate considered is not an equilibrium. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen W. Salant & Sheldon Switzer & Robert J. Reynolds, 1983. "Losses From Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-199.
- Pedro Posada & Odd Rune Straume, 2004.
"Merger, Partial Collusion and Relocation,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 83(3), pages 243-265, December.
- Posada, Pedro & Straume, Odd Rune, 2002. "Merger, partial collusion and relocation," Working Papers in Economics 23/02, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Posada, Pedro & Odd Rune Straume, 2003. "Merger, partial collusion and relocation," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 167, Royal Economic Society.
- Andreea Cosnita-Langlais, 2008.
"Horizontal market concentration: Theoretical insights from the spatial models,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2008-42, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Cosnita-Langlais, Andreea, 2012. "Horizontal market concentration: Theoretical insights from spatial models," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 22-32.
- Levy, David T & Reitzes, James D, 1992. "Anticompetitive Effects of Mergers in Markets with Localized Competition," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(2), pages 427-40, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jeczfn:v:107:y:2012:i:3:p:277-282. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.