Movie stars and box office revenues: an empirical analysis
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Ravid, S Abraham, 1999. "Information, Blockbusters, and Stars: A Study of the Film Industry," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(4), pages 463-492, October.
- Ramya Neelamegham & Pradeep Chintagunta, 1999. "A Bayesian Model to Forecast New Product Performance in Domestic and International Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(2), pages 115-136.
- Alan Collins & Chris Hand & Martin C. Snell, 2002.
"What makes a blockbuster? Economic analysis of film success in the United Kingdom,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(6), pages 343-354.
- Collins, A. & Hand, C. & Snell, M.C., 2001. "What Makes a Blockbuster? Economic Analysis of Film Success in the United Kingdom," Papers 137, Portsmouth University - Department of Economics.
- Steven Albert, 1998. "Movie Stars and the Distribution of Financially Successful Films in the Motion Picture Industry," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 22(4), pages 249-270, December.
- Andrew Ainslie & Xavier Drèze & Fred Zufryden, 2005. "Modeling Movie Life Cycles and Market Share," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(3), pages 508-517, November.
- M. Bagella & L. Becchetti, 1999. "The Determinants of Motion Picture Box Office Performance: Evidence from Movies Produced in Italy," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 23(4), pages 237-256, November.
- Holbrook, Morris B, 1999. " Popular Appeal versus Expert Judgments of Motion Pictures," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 144-155, September.
- Arthur De Vany & W. Walls, 1999. "Uncertainty in the Movie Industry: Does Star Power Reduce the Terror of the Box Office?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 23(4), pages 285-318, November.
- Mohanbir S. Sawhney & Jehoshua Eliashberg, 1996. "A Parsimonious Model for Forecasting Gross Box-Office Revenues of Motion Pictures," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(2), pages 113-131.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:spr:infosf:v:20:y:2018:i:3:d:10.1007_s10796-016-9689-z is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:zbw:esthes:157994 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gaenssle, Sophia & Budzinski, Oliver & Astakhova, Daria, 2018. "Conquering the box office: Factors influencing success of international movies in Russia," Ilmenau Economics Discussion Papers 113, Ilmenau University of Technology, Institute of Economics.
- Ana Suárez-Vázquez & José Quevedo, 2015. "Analyzing superstars’ power using support vector machines," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 49(4), pages 1521-1542, December.
- Petr A. Parshakov & Kseniya O. Baydina, 2017. "Brands or Uncertainty? An Empirical Test of the Uncertainty of Outcome Hypothesis in Russian Football," HSE Working papers WP BRP 163/EC/2017, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Daniel Kaimann & Joe Cox, 2014. "The Interaction of Signals: A Fuzzy set Analysis of the Video Game Industry," Working Papers Dissertations 13, Paderborn University, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics.
- Julianne Treme & Zoe VanDerPloeg, 2014. "The Twitter Effect: Social Media Usage as a Contributor to Movie Success," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 34(2), pages 793-809.
- Daniel Kaimann, 2014. "Combining Qualitative Comparative Analysis and Shapley Value Decomposition: A Novel Approach for Modeling Complex Causal Structures in Dynamic Markets," Working Papers Dissertations 12, Paderborn University, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics.
- McMahon, James, 2013. "The Rise of a Confident Hollywood: Risk and the Capitalization of Cinema," EconStor Preprints 157854, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- repec:zbw:caprev:157908 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:ijrema:v:34:y:2017:i:2:p:442-461 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ana Suarez-Vazquez & Elena Montañés-Roces, 2017. "Superstars Power, Mining the Paths to Stars’ Persuasion," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 49(1), pages 67-81, January.
- Frederick Derrick & Nancy Williams & Charles Scott, 2014. "A two-stage proxy variable approach to estimating movie box office receipts," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 38(2), pages 173-189, May.
- Daniel Kaimann & Joe Cox, 2014. "The Interaction of Signals: A Fuzzy set Analysis of the Video Game Industry," Working Papers CIE 84, Paderborn University, CIE Center for International Economics.
- Kyuhan Lee & Jinsoo Park & Iljoo Kim & Youngseok Choi, 0. "Predicting movie success with machine learning techniques: ways to improve accuracy," Information Systems Frontiers, Springer, vol. 0, pages 1-12.
- repec:zbw:espost:157797 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aloys Prinz & Jan Piening & Thomas Ehrmann, 2015. "The success of art galleries: a dynamic model with competition and information effects," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 39(2), pages 153-176, May.
- repec:kap:asiapa:v:35:y:2018:i:1:d:10.1007_s10490-016-9501-0 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsMotion picture industry; Box office revenue; Movie stars; L82; Z11;
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
- Z11 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economics of the Arts and Literature
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:36:y:2012:i:2:p:141-166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.