The sales effect of word of mouth: a model for creative goods and estimates for novels
Weekly sales of creative goods—like music records, movies, or books—usually peak shortly after release and then decline quickly. In many cases, however, they follow a hump-shaped pattern where sales increase for some time. A popular explanation for this phenomenon is word of mouth among a population of heterogeneous buyers, but previous studies typically assume buyer homogeneity or neglect word of mouth altogether. In this paper, I study a model of new-product diffusion with heterogeneous buyers that allows for a quantification of the sales effect of word of mouth. The model includes Christmas sales as a special case. All parameters have an intuitive interpretation. Simulation results suggest that the parameters are estimable for data that are not too volatile and that cover a sufficiently large part of a title’s life cycle. I estimate the model for four exemplary novels using scanner data on weekly sales. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. H. Love & P. Gripaios & P. Mills & A. Alexander & O. Yiftachel & A. Pike & P. Newby & R. Prentice & R. R. MacKay & M. Binks & P. W. Daniels, 1996. "Book Reviews," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(6), pages 619-625.
- Canoy, Marcel & van der Ploeg, Frederick & van Ours, Jan C, 2005.
"The Economics of Books,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4892, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcel F. M. Canoy & Jan C. van Ours & Frederick van der Ploeg, 2005. "The Economics of Books," CESifo Working Paper Series 1414, CESifo Group Munich.
- Canoy, M.F.M. & van Ours, J.C. & van der Ploeg, F., 2005. "The Economics of Books," Discussion Paper 2005-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jonathan Beck, 2006.
"The Sales Effect of Word of Mouth: A Model for Creative Goods and Estimates for Novels,"
CIG Working Papers
SP II 2006-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Jonathan Beck, 2007. "The sales effect of word of mouth: a model for creative goods and estimates for novels," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 5-23, March.
- J. H. Love & B. S. Chalkley & H. Halkier & A. Bruce & K. Grime & C. Hague & P. Balchin & J. H. Momsen & B. M. D. Smith & P. Hall & M. Deakin, 1996. "Book Reviews," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 533-539.
- Dina Mayzlin & Judith A. Chevalier, 2003.
"The Effect of Word of Mouth on Sales: Online Book Reviews,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm413, Yale School of Management.
- Judith A. Chevalier & Dina Mayzlin, 2003. "The Effect of Word of Mouth on Sales: Online Book Reviews," NBER Working Papers 10148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geroski, P. A., 2000.
"Models of technology diffusion,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 603-625, April.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200513 is not listed on IDEAS
- Boswijk, H. Peter & Franses, Philip Hans, 2005. "On the Econometrics of the Bass Diffusion Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 255-268, July.
- Albert C. Bemmaor & Janghyuk Lee, 2002. "The Impact of Heterogeneity and Ill-Conditioning on Diffusion Model Parameter Estimates," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(2), pages 209-220, November.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Beethika Khan, 2004.
"Adoption of New Technology,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Beethika Khan, 2003. "Adoption of New Technology," NBER Working Papers 9730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Khan, Beethika, 2003. "Adoption of New Technology," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt3wg4p528, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Trajtenberg, Manuel & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1989.
"The Diffusion of Innovations: A Methodological Reappraisal,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 7(1), pages 35-47, January.
- Manuel Trajtenberg & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1982. "The Diffusion of Innovations: A Methodological Reappraisal," NBER Working Papers 1008, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. H. Love & C. Wren & M. Raley & I. Masser & D. Drakakis-Smith & V. Galt & K. Thomas & D. Clapham & P. Elias & R. G. Brooks & D. M. Smith, 1996. "Book Reviews," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 215-222.
- Victor Ginsburgh & David Throsby, 2006.
"Handbook of the economics of art and culture,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/1673, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- J. H. Love & R. H. Williams & M. Dodgson & T. Bovaird & S. Mazurais & P. Garside & M. Sheehan & P. Lawless & D. Kerr & H. D. Watts & G. T. Bloomfield, 1996. "Book Reviews," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 93-99.
- Jonathan Beck, 2004. "Fixed, Focal, Fair? Book Prices Under Optional Resale Price Maintenance," CIG Working Papers SP II 2004-15, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- D. Wade Hands, 1995.
Journal of Economic Methodology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 144-148.
- De Vany, Arthur & Walls, W David, 1996. "Bose-Einstein Dynamics and Adaptive Contracting in the Motion Picture Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(439), pages 1493-1514, November.
- De Vany, Arthur S. & Walls, W. David, 2004. "Motion picture profit, the stable Paretian hypothesis, and the curse of the superstar," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1035-1057, March.
- Sheila Dow, 1998.
Review of Political Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 114-117.
- M. C. Jones, 2006. "Book Review," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(10), pages 1149-1151.
- Christophe Van den Bulte & Gary L. Lilien, 1997. "Bias and Systematic Change in the Parameter Estimates of Macro-Level Diffusion Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(4), pages 338-353.
- J. H. Love & P. W. Roberts & P. Bull & D. Sadler & M. Clark & M. M. Huq & D. Turnock & R. Perman & A. H. Spencer & R. Smith & D. Pitfield, 1996. "Book Reviews," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 713-721.
- Waldfogel, Joel, 1993. "The Deadweight Loss of Christmas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1328-36, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:31:y:2007:i:1:p:5-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.