The sales effect of word of mouth: a model for creative goods and estimates for novels
Weekly sales of creative goods—like music records, movies, or books—usually peak shortly after release and then decline quickly. In many cases, however, they follow a hump-shaped pattern where sales increase for some time. A popular explanation for this phenomenon is word of mouth among a population of heterogeneous buyers, but previous studies typically assume buyer homogeneity or neglect word of mouth altogether. In this paper, I study a model of new-product diffusion with heterogeneous buyers that allows for a quantification of the sales effect of word of mouth. The model includes Christmas sales as a special case. All parameters have an intuitive interpretation. Simulation results suggest that the parameters are estimable for data that are not too volatile and that cover a sufficiently large part of a title’s life cycle. I estimate the model for four exemplary novels using scanner data on weekly sales. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Volume (Year): 31 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.culturaleconomics.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10824/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Vany, Arthur S. & Walls, W. David, 2004. "Motion picture profit, the stable Paretian hypothesis, and the curse of the superstar," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1035-1057, March.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Khan, Beethika, 2003.
"Adoption of New Technology,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt3wg4p528, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Waldfogel, Joel, 1993. "The Deadweight Loss of Christmas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1328-36, December.
- Dina Mayzlin & Judith A. Chevalier, 2003.
"The Effect of Word of Mouth on Sales: Online Book Reviews,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm413, Yale School of Management.
- Judith A. Chevalier & Dina Mayzlin, 2003. "The Effect of Word of Mouth on Sales: Online Book Reviews," NBER Working Papers 10148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Trajtenberg, Manuel & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1989.
"The Diffusion of Innovations: A Methodological Reappraisal,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 7(1), pages 35-47, January.
- Manuel Trajtenberg & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1982. "The Diffusion of Innovations: A Methodological Reappraisal," NBER Working Papers 1008, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Vany, Arthur & Walls, W David, 1996. "Bose-Einstein Dynamics and Adaptive Contracting in the Motion Picture Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(439), pages 1493-1514, November.
- J. H. Love & R. H. Williams & M. Dodgson & T. Bovaird & S. Mazurais & P. Garside & M. Sheehan & P. Lawless & D. Kerr & H. D. Watts & G. T. Bloomfield, 1996. "Book Reviews," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 93-99.
- D. Wade Hands, 1995.
Journal of Economic Methodology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 144-148.
- Sheila Dow, 1998.
Review of Political Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 114-117.
- Geroski, P. A., 2000.
"Models of technology diffusion,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 603-625, April.
- J. H. Love & B. S. Chalkley & H. Halkier & A. Bruce & K. Grime & C. Hague & P. Balchin & J. H. Momsen & B. M. D. Smith & P. Hall & M. Deakin, 1996. "Book Reviews," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 533-539.
- Victor Ginsburgh & David Throsby, 2006.
"Handbook of the economics of art and culture,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/1673, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Canoy, M.F.M. & van Ours, J.C. & van der Ploeg, F., 2005.
"The Economics of Books,"
2005-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jonathan Beck, 2004. "Fixed, Focal, Fair? Book Prices Under Optional Resale Price Maintenance," CIG Working Papers SP II 2004-15, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Albert C. Bemmaor & Janghyuk Lee, 2002. "The Impact of Heterogeneity and Ill-Conditioning on Diffusion Model Parameter Estimates," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(2), pages 209-220, November.
- Charles C. Moul, 2007. "Measuring Word of Mouth's Impact on Theatrical Movie Admissions," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 859-892, December.
- Boswijk, H. Peter & Franses, Philip Hans, 2005. "On the Econometrics of the Bass Diffusion Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 255-268, July.
- Christophe Van den Bulte & Gary L. Lilien, 1997. "Bias and Systematic Change in the Parameter Estimates of Macro-Level Diffusion Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(4), pages 338-353.
- Jonathan Beck, 2006.
"The Sales Effect of Word of Mouth: A Model for Creative Goods and Estimates for Novels,"
CIG Working Papers
SP II 2006-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Jonathan Beck, 2007. "The sales effect of word of mouth: a model for creative goods and estimates for novels," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 31(1), pages 5-23, March.
- M. C. Jones, 2006. "Book Review," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(10), pages 1149-1151.
- J. H. Love & P. Gripaios & P. Mills & A. Alexander & O. Yiftachel & A. Pike & P. Newby & R. Prentice & R. R. MacKay & M. Binks & P. W. Daniels, 1996. "Book Reviews," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(6), pages 619-625.
- J. H. Love & P. W. Roberts & P. Bull & D. Sadler & M. Clark & M. M. Huq & D. Turnock & R. Perman & A. H. Spencer & R. Smith & D. Pitfield, 1996. "Book Reviews," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 713-721.
- J. H. Love & C. Wren & M. Raley & I. Masser & D. Drakakis-Smith & V. Galt & K. Thomas & D. Clapham & P. Elias & R. G. Brooks & D. M. Smith, 1996. "Book Reviews," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 215-222.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:31:y:2007:i:1:p:5-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.