Willingness to pay: individual or household?
This paper considers how respondents model the open-ended willingness to pay question, what is your maximum willingness to pay? In the specific context of valuing Irish public service broadcasting, respondents were asked a follow-up question in order to explore whether the initial response was an individual or household bid. The results suggest the presence of significant ambiguity in how responses to standard willingness to pay questions should be interpreted and aggregated. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2006
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas Noonan, 2003. "Contingent Valuation and Cultural Resources: A Meta-Analytic Review of the Literature," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 159-176, November.
- Strand, Jon, 2003.
"Public-good valuation and intrafamily allocation,"
28/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Strand, Jon, 2009.
"Individual and household value of mortality reductions with intrahousehold bargaining,"
HERO On line Working Paper Series
2004:2, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Jon Strand, 2005. "Individual and Household Values of Mortality Reductions with Intrahousehold Bargaining," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 217-236, September.
- Jens Ludwig & Philip J. Cook, 1999.
"The Benefits of Reducing Gun Violence: Evidence from Contingent-Valuation Survey Data,"
NBER Working Papers
7166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ludwig, Jens & Cook, Philip J, 2001. " The Benefits of Reducing Gun Violence: Evidence from Contingent-Valuation Survey Data," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 207-26, May.
- Smith, V. Kerry & Van Houtven, George, 1998.
"Non-Market Valuation and the Household,"
dp-98-31, Resources For the Future.
- Liam Delaney & Francis O’Toole, 2004. "Irish Public Service Broadcasting - A Contingent Valuation Analysis," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(3), pages 321-350.
- John Quiggin, 1998. "Individual and Household Willingness to Pay for Public Goods," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 58-63.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:30:y:2006:i:4:p:305-309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.