The Consumption of Cultural Products: An Analysis of the Spanish Social Space
This article analyses the social consumption of cultural products by Spaniards from the standpoint of microeconomics and sociology. By comparing Lancaster's ``new consumer theory'' to Bourdieu's theory, we show the usefulness of simultaneous analysis of consumption from both perspectives. The results provide evidence supporting the hypothesis of expressive functions, distinction and symbolic properties of cultural products. In addition, the ``new consumer theory'' has various implications for both cultural policymaking and marketing of cultural products. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2002
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John R. Hauser & Steven M. Shugan, 1983.
"Defensive Marketing Strategies,"
INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 319-360.
- Michael Greenacre, 2008. "Correspondence analysis of raw data," Economics Working Papers 1112, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2009.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Holt, Douglas B, 1998. " Does Cultural Capital Structure American Consumption?," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(1), pages 1-25, June.
- John R. Hauser, 1988. "Note—Competitive Price and Positioning Strategies," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(1), pages 76-91.
- Manuel Cuadrado & Marta Frasquet, 1999. "Segmentation of Cinema Audiences: An Exploratory Study Applied to Young Consumers," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 257-267, November.
- Kelvin Lancaster, 1990. "The Economics of Product Variety: A Survey," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(3), pages 189-206.
- Gregory S. Carpenter, 1989. "Perceptual Position and Competitive Brand Strategy in a Two-Dimensional, Two-Brand Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(9), pages 1029-1044, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:26:y:2002:i:2:p:115-138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.