The Consumption of Cultural Products: An Analysis of the Spanish Social Space
This article analyses the social consumption of cultural products by Spaniards from the standpoint of microeconomics and sociology. By comparing Lancaster's ``new consumer theory'' to Bourdieu's theory, we show the usefulness of simultaneous analysis of consumption from both perspectives. The results provide evidence supporting the hypothesis of expressive functions, distinction and symbolic properties of cultural products. In addition, the ``new consumer theory'' has various implications for both cultural policymaking and marketing of cultural products. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2002
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 26 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.culturaleconomics.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10824/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory S. Carpenter, 1989. "Perceptual Position and Competitive Brand Strategy in a Two-Dimensional, Two-Brand Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(9), pages 1029-1044, September.
- John R. Hauser & Steven M. Shugan, 2008.
"Defensive Marketing Strategies,"
INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 88-110, 01-02.
- John R. Hauser & Steven M. Shugan, 1983. "Defensive Marketing Strategies," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 319-360.
- Hauser, John R. & Shugan, Steven., 1981. "Defensive marketing stategies," Working papers 1243-81., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Kelvin Lancaster, 1990. "The Economics of Product Variety: A Survey," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(3), pages 189-206.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132-132.
- Michael Greenacre, 2008. "Correspondence analysis of raw data," Economics Working Papers 1112, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2009.
- Holt, Douglas B, 1998. " Does Cultural Capital Structure American Consumption?," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 1-25, June.
- John R. Hauser, 1988. "Note—Competitive Price and Positioning Strategies," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(1), pages 76-91.
- Peter E. Earl, 1995. "Microeconomics for Business and Marketing," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 159.
- Manuel Cuadrado & Marta Frasquet, 1999. "Segmentation of Cinema Audiences: An Exploratory Study Applied to Young Consumers," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 23(4), pages 257-267, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)