When and Why Usury Should be Prohibited
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Sumit Agarwal & Paige Marta Skiba & Jeremy Tobacman, 2009.
"Payday Loans and Credit Cards: New Liquidity and Credit Scoring Puzzles?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 412-417, May.
- Sumit Agarwal & Paige M. Skiba & Jeremy Tobacman, 2009. "Payday Loans and Credit Cards: New Liquidity and Credit Scoring Puzzles?," NBER Working Papers 14659, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William Boyes, 1982. "In defense of the downtrodden: Usury laws?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 269-276, January.
- Posner, Eric A, 1995. "Contract Law in the Welfare State: A Defense of the Unconscionablility Doctrine, Usury Laws, and Related Limitations on the Freedom to Contract," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 283-319, June.
- Giuseppe Coco & David De Meza, 2009. "In Defense of Usury Laws," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(8), pages 1691-1703, December.
- John P. Caskey, 2010. "Payday lending: new research and the big question," Working Papers 10-32, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Efraim Benmelech & Tobias J. Moskowitz, 2010.
"The Political Economy of Financial Regulation: Evidence from U.S. State Usury Laws in the 19th Century,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 65(3), pages 1029-1073, June.
- Efraim Benmelech & Tobias J. Moskowitz, 2007. "The Political Economy of Financial Regulation: Evidence from U.S. State Usury Laws in the 19th Century," NBER Working Papers 12851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morse, Adair, 2011. "Payday lenders: Heroes or villains?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 28-44, October.
- Peter Temin & Hans-Joachim Voth, 2008.
"Interest Rate Restrictions in a Natural Experiment: Loan Allocation and the Change in the Usury Laws in 1714,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(528), pages 743-758, April.
- Joachim Voth & Peter Temin, 2005. "Interest rate restrictions in a natural experiment: loan allocation and the change in the usury laws in 1714," Economics Working Papers 858, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Marianne Bertrand & Adair Morse, 2011.
"Information Disclosure, Cognitive Biases, and Payday Borrowing,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 66(6), pages 1865-1893, December.
- Marianne Bertrand & Adair Morse, 2009. "Information Disclosure, Cognitive Biases and Payday Borrowing," Working Papers 2009-007, Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics.
- Brian T. Melzer, 2011. "The Real Costs of Credit Access: Evidence from the Payday Lending Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 126(1), pages 517-555.
- Alyssa Labat & Walter Block, 2012. "Money Does Not Grow on Trees: An Argument for Usury," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 106(3), pages 383-387, March.
- Robert DeYoung & Ronnie J. Phillips, 2006.
"Strategic Pricing of Payday Loans: Evidence from Colorado, 2000-2005,"
NFI Working Papers
2006-WP-05, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Robert DeYoung & Ronnie J. Phillips, 2007. "Strategic pricing of payday loans: evidence from Colorado, 2000-2005," Proceedings 1040, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Maurice B. Goudzwaard, 1968. "Price Ceilings And Credit Rationing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(1), pages 177-185, March.
- Edward C. Lawrence & Gregory Elliehausen, 2008. "A Comparative Analysis Of Payday Loan Customers," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(2), pages 299-316, April.
- Zwolinski, Matt, 2007. "Sweatshops, Choice, and Exploitation," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 689-727, October.
- Benston, George J, 1977. "Risk on Consumer Finance Company Personal Loans," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 593-607, May.
- David Laibson, 1997. "Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 443-478.
- Li, Mingliang & Mumford, Kevin J. & Tobias, Justin L., 2012. "A Bayesian analysis of payday loans and their regulation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 171(2), pages 205-216.
- Michael A. Stegman, 2007. "Payday Lending," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 169-190, Winter.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Neuberger, Doris & Reifner, Udo, 2019. "Systemic usury and the European Consumer Credit Directive," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 161, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsCredit; Interest rate; Just price; Loan shark; Payday lending; Usury;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:116:y:2013:i:3:p:513-527. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Mallaigh Nolan). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.