Idiosyncratic consumption risk and predictability of the carry trade premium: Euro-Area evidence
The failure to empirically prove uncovered interest rate parity conditions seems to be related to the presence of risk premia on foreign currencies. Recent studies suggest that either consumption- or currency-return-based pricing factors explain the cross section of foreign currency portfolio returns. The contribution of this paper is twofold. It first shows that the return-based explanation applies to foreign currency portfolios built from the perspective of a Euro-Area investor. Second, the main results of this paper suggest that the decisive pricing factor, the so-called carry trade premium, mirrors business-cycle-related risks. Times of relatively large uninsured Euro-Area consumption growth risk are associated with an expected increase of the carry trade premium. Copyright Swiss Society for Financial Market Research 2010
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mathias Hoffmann, 2005.
"Proprietary Income, Entrepreneurial Risk and the Predictability of U.S. Stock Returns,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
229, Society for Computational Economics.
- Mathias Hoffmann, 2006. "Proprietary Income, Entrepreneurial Risk, and the Predictability of U.S. Stock Returns," CESifo Working Paper Series 1712, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hoffmann, Mathias, 2006. "Proprietary Income, Entrepreneurial Risk, and the Predictability of U.S. Stock Returns," Technical Reports 2006,14, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Lustig, H. & Verdelhan, A., 2006.
"The Cross-Section of Foreign Currency Risk Premia and Consumption Growth Risk,"
155, Banque de France.
- Hanno Lustig & Adrien Verdelhan, 2007. "The Cross Section of Foreign Currency Risk Premia and Consumption Growth Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 89-117, March.
- Hanno Lustig & Adrien Verdelhan, 2006. "The Cross-Section of Foreign Currency Risk Premia and Consumption Growth Risk," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-045, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Adrien Verdelhan & Hanno Lustig, 2005. "The Cross-Section Of Foreign Currency Risk Premia And Consumption Growth Risk," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-019, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Paul Söderlind, 2006.
"C-CAPM Refinements and the Cross-Section of Returns,"
Financial Markets and Portfolio Management,
Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 49-73, April.
- Paul Söderlind, 2006. "C-CAPM Refinements and the Cross-Section of Returns," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2006 2006-07, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Thomas Nitschka, 2007.
"International evidence for return predictability and the implications for long-run covariation of the G7 stock markets,"
IEW - Working Papers
338, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Thomas Nitschka, 2010. "International Evidence for Return Predictability and the Implications for Long-Run Covariation of the G7 Stock Markets," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11, pages 527-544, November.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2010.
"How Much Does Household Collateral Constrain Regional Risk Sharing?,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(2), pages 265-294, April.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2004. "How Much Does Household Collateral Constrain Regional Risk Sharing?," NBER Working Papers 10505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2009. "Code and data files for "How Much Does Housing Collateral Constrain Regional Risk Sharing?"," Computer Codes 06-187, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Christoph Sax, 2006. "Interest Rates and Exchange Rate Movements: Analyzing Short-term Investments in Long-term Bonds," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 205-220, June.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1984. "Forward and spot exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 319-338, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:fmktpm:v:24:y:2010:i:1:p:49-65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.