The characteristics and development of the Swiss franc repurchase agreement market
With the reinterpretation of repurchase agreements (repos) by the tax authority and the revision of the national bank law in 1997, allowing the Swiss national bank (SNB) to use repos as monetary policy instrument, the prerequisites for the development of a Swiss franc repo market were given. The development of the repo market in Switzerland only came up in 1999 with the provision of an integrated trading and settlement system provided by SegaInterSettle AG (SIS), Eurex and Swiss Interbank Clearing (SIC) in collaboration with the SNB. The following paper provides an overview of the basic characteristics and structure of the Swiss franc repo market as well as of the development it has undergone since 1999. It also discusses what motives and reasons the banks possess to actively participate in the Swiss franc repo market. Copyright Swiss Society for Financial Market Research 2007
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nautz, Dieter & Oechssler, Jorg, 2006.
"Overbidding in fixed rate tenders--an empirical assessment of alternative explanations,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 631-646, April.
- Dieter Nautz & Jörg Oechssler, 2003. "Overbidding in Fixed Rate Tenders - An Empirical Assessment of Alternative Explanations," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse10_2003, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Välimäki, Tuomas, 2003. "Central bank tenders: three essays on money market liquidity auctions," Scientific Monographs E:26/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Thomas J. Jordan & Peter Kugler, 2004. "Implementing Swiss Monetary Policy: Steering the 3M-Libor with Repo Transactions," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(III), pages 381-393, September.
- Bjørn-Roger Wilhelmsen & Andrea Zaghini, 2005.
"Monetary policy predictability in the euro area: An international comparison,"
2005/7, Norges Bank.
- Bj�rn-Roger Wilhelmsen & Andrea Zaghini, 2011. "Monetary policy predictability in the euro area: an international comparison," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(20), pages 2533-2544.
- Wilhelmsen, Bjørn-Roger & Zaghini, Andrea, 2005. "Monetary policy predictability in the euro area: an international comparison," Working Paper Series 0504, European Central Bank.
- Michael J. Fleming & Kenneth D. Garbade, 2004. "Repurchase agreements with negative interest rates," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 10(Apr).
- Bindseil, Ulrich, 2002. "Equilibrium bidding in the Eurosystem's open market operations," Working Paper Series 0137, European Central Bank.
- Breitung, Jorg & Nautz, Dieter, 2001. "The empirical performance of the ECB's repo auctions: evidence from aggregated and individual bidding data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 839-856, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:fmktpm:v:21:y:2007:i:2:p:241-261. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.