Demand for Reserves and the Central Bank's Management of Interest Rates
The implementation of monetary policy is prevalently done by interest rate targeting with a short term market rate serving as operational target. The instruments for achieving the operational target are the provision of reserves and the interest rate charged in these transactions. This paper presents a model for the estimation of the demand curve for reserves, derived from the central bank's fixed rate tender auction and the interbank money market. Using data from Switzerland, the slope of the demand curve is estimated. Furthermore, properties of the demand curve such as the slope patterns in the course of a maintenance period and the slope in different monetary regimes are assessed. We find a steeper demand curve towards the end of the maintenance period and an increasing slope when the general interest rate level is high. Further, we investigate the role of the Swiss National Bank's (SNB) interest rate in the fixed rate tender auctions. There is evidence that the SNB uses its auction rate to guide the interbank market rate.
Volume (Year): 148 (2012)
Issue (Month): IV (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich|
Phone: +41 58 631 32 34
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dieter Nautz & Jörg Oechssler, 2003.
"The Repo Auctions of the European Central Bank and the Vanishing Quota Puzzle,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(2), pages 207-220, 06.
- Nautz, Dieter & Oechssler, Jörg, 1999. "The repo auctions of the European Central Bank and the vanishing quota puzzle," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,79, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Dieter Nautz & Jörg Oechssler, 2001. "The Repo Auctions of the European Central Bank and the Vanishing Quota Puzzle," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse9_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Thomas J. Jordan & Peter Kugler, 2004. "Implementing Swiss Monetary Policy: Steering the 3M-Libor with Repo Transactions," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(III), pages 381-393, September.
- Ernst Baltensperger & Philipp M. Hildebrand & Thomas J. Jordan, 2007. "The Swiss National Bank's monetary policy concept - an example of a 'principles-based' policy framework," Economic Studies 2007-03, Swiss National Bank.
- Nautz, Dieter & Oechssler, Jorg, 2006. "Overbidding in fixed rate tenders--an empirical assessment of alternative explanations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 631-646, April.
- Dieter Nautz & Jörg Oechssler, 2003. "Overbidding in Fixed Rate Tenders - An Empirical Assessment of Alternative Explanations," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse10_2003, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Shino, Junnosuke, 2013. "A positive theory of fixed-rate funds-supplying operations in an accommodative financial environment," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 595-610.
- Junnosuke Shino, 2011. "A Positive Theory of Fixed-Rate Funds-Supplying Operations in an Accommodative Financial Environment," Bank of Japan Working Paper Series 11-E-4, Bank of Japan.
- Kraenzlin, Sébastien & Schlegel, Martin, 2012. "Bidding behavior in the SNB’s repo auctions," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 170-188.
- Sébastien Kraenzlin & Martin Schlegel, 2009. "Bidding Behavior in the SNB's Repo Auctions," Working Papers 2009-14, Swiss National Bank.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 2007. "Open market operations and the federal funds rate," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 549-570.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 2005. "Open market operations and the federal funds rate," Working Papers 2005-063, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ewerhart, Christian & Cassola, Nuno & Valla, Natacha, 2012. "Overbidding in fixed rate tenders: The role of exposure risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 539-549.
- Ehrhart, Karl-Martin, 2001. "European Central Bank operations: experimental investigation of the fixed rate tender," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 871-893, November.
- Sébastien Kraenzlin, 2007. "The characteristics and development of the Swiss franc repurchase agreement market," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer;Swiss Society for Financial Market Research, vol. 21(2), pages 241-261, June.
- Breitung, Jorg & Nautz, Dieter, 2001. "The empirical performance of the ECB's repo auctions: evidence from aggregated and individual bidding data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 839-856, November.
- Sébastien Kraenzlin, 2009. "Interest Rate Setting on the Swiss Franc Repo Market," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 145(III), pages 351-377, September.
- Ehrhart, Karl-Martin, 2001. "European Central Bank Operations: Experimental Investigation of Variable Rate Tenders," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-37, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:2012-iv-3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.