Measuring the trade-off between economic growth and a clean environment
This article surveys various aspects of the measurement of environmental quality from the view point of national accounting and welfare economics. It focuses on the question whether GNP or NNP should be corrected for environmental change (‘green’ or ‘eco’-GNP) or whether physical accounts provide sufficient information for an assessment of the trade-off mentioned above. We conclude that valuation of (services from) environmental capital cannot be avoided for such assessment, but can only be made using a model based approach. Statistical agencies should continue to collect data on environmental quality and to value changes in environmental capital in the context of national resource accounting. However, official statisticians should refrain from correcting GNP or NNP for environmental change, as this correction implicitly contains a political judgment and cannot be based on mere technical knowledge. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1994
Volume (Year): 4 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karl-Göran Mäler, 1991. "National accounts and environmental resources," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Mordechai Shechter, 1991. "A comparative study of environmental amenity valuations," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(2), pages 129-155, June.
- Frederick Ploeg & Cees Withagen, 1991. "Pollution control and the Ramsey problem," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(2), pages 215-236, June.
- Nijkamp, P. & Paelinck, J., 1973. "Some models for the economic evaluation of the environment," Regional and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 33-62, February.
- Smulders, J.A. & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 1993.
"The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth : Pollution in three proto-type growth models,"
Other publications TiSEM
f3ec6de7-f996-4ac0-b872-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Raymond Gradus & Sjak Smulders, 1993. "The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth—Pollution in three prototype growth models," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 25-51, February.
- Vellinga, Nico & Withagen, Cees, 1996. "On the Concept of Green National Income," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(4), pages 499-514, October.
- Tahvonen, Olli & Kuuluvainen, Jari, 1991. "Optimal growth with renewable resources and pollution," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(2-3), pages 650-661, April.
- Jon Nicolaisen & Peter Hoeller, 1990. "Economics and the Environment: A Survey of Issues and Policy Options," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 82, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:4:y:1994:i:2:p:187-208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.