Storage and Viability of a Fishery with Resource and Market Dephased Seasonalities
In this study we analyse the role of the storageregulation in a fishery's production process when theresource exploited and the market to which theproduction is exported are characterized by seasonaldephased oscillations. For this purpose we built up adynamic model drawn from the French Guyana shrimpfishery example. The underlying objective of the modelis not the maximisation of a given criterion (as wouldbe in the optimal control approach), but merely themaintenance of the fishery's economical viability. Thefundamental principle is here to try to preserve asmany as possible viable control options. Theconditions to achieve and maintain this viability arecaptured in a certain number of constraints. Theanalysis points out periods and situations within theseason where the fishermen must anticipate theevolution of their storage to avoid violating thoseviability constraints. The study also indicates howthe fishery's viability can be ensured even if theexploitation costs exceed the commercial value of thelandings for a finite part of the year. However, whenthe resource's and/or market's oscillations are toolarge, the fishery may be not viable any longer and itappears that the crisis can not be removed byinvesting in larger storage capacities. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dudley, Norman & Waugh, Geoffrey, 1980. "Exploitation of a single-cohort fishery under risk: A simulation-optimization approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 234-255, September.
- Ola Flaaten, 1983. "The Optimal Harvesting of a Natural Resource with Seasonal Growth," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(3), pages 447-62, August.
- Angus Deaton & Guy Laroque, 1990.
"On The Behavior of Commodity Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
3439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McKelvey, Robert, 1983. "The fishery in a fluctuating environment: Coexistence of specialist and generalist fishing vessels in a multipurpose fleet," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 287-309, December.
- Bockstael, Nancy E. & Opaluch, James J., 1983. "Discrete modelling of supply response under uncertainty: The case of the fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 125-137, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:15:y:2000:i:1:p:1-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.