Economic Growth and Structural Changes in Employment and Investments in China, 1985–94
This paper uses a shift-share method to quantify the components of economic growth and structural changes in employment and investments at both the national and regional levels. The results indicate that rapid economic growth has been characterized by significant shifts in employment and investments between industries in China. Such structural changes have a distinct regional pattern which has important policy implications regarding spatial disparities in economic growth and income. The results shed some important light on the understanding of Deng's development thought that is formalized in this paper as a multi-tier and multi-stage development strategy for a large developing economy. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1999
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theil, Henri & Gosh, Riddhi, 1980. "A comparison of shift-share and the RAS adjustment," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 175-180, June.
- Selting, Anne C. & Loveridge, Scott, 1994. "Testing Dynamic Shift-Share," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 24(1).
- Hussain, Athar & Lanjouw, Peter & Stern, Nicholas, 1994. "Income inequalities in China: Evidence from household survey data," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(12), pages 1947-1957, December.
- Knight, J. & Song, L., 1990.
"The Spatial Contribution To Income Inequality In Rural China,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99106, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Knight, John & Song, Lina, 1993. "The Spatial Contribution to Income Inequality in Rural China," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 195-213, June.
- Groves, Theodore, et al, 1994. "Autonomy and Incentives in Chinese State Enterprises," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(1), pages 183-209, February.
- Moore, Barry & Rhodes, John, 1973. "Evaluating the Effects of British Regional Economic Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(329), pages 87-110, March.
- R. Bradley Hoppes, 1994. "Rejoinder: Industry-Level Shift-Share Analysis," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 8(2), pages 214-217, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:ecopln:v:32:y:1999:i:3:p:171-190. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.