A Summary Of The Literature On Shift-Share Analysis
Shift-share analysis is a method of decomposing regional income or employment growth patterns into expected (share) and differential (shift) components. Since its inception in the 1940s, over seventy academic contributions have criticized, defended, and extended the original concept. These contributions are summarized, and research needs for the future are identified.
|Date of creation:||1992|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moore, Barry & Rhodes, John, 1973. "Evaluating the Effects of British Regional Economic Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(329), pages 87-110, March.
- Holden, Darryl R & Nairn, Alasdair G M & Swales, J K, 1989. "Shift-Share Analysis of Regional Growth and Policy: A Critique," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(1), pages 15-34, February.
- Grimes, Paul W. & Ray, Margaret A., 1988. "Right-to-Work Legislation and Employment Growth in the 1980s: A Shift-Share Analysis," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 18(2).
- Harris, Anthony H, et al, 1987. "Incoming Industry and Structural Change: Oil and the Aberdeen Economy," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 34(1), pages 69-90, February.
- D R Holden & J K Swales & A G M Nairn, 1987. "The repeated application of shift-share: a structural explanation of regional growth?," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(9), pages 1233-1250, September.
- Merrifield, John, 1983. "The Role of Shift Share in Regional Analysis," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 13(1).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umaesp:14086. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.