Higher-Moments in Perturbation Solution of the Linear-Quadratic Exponential Gaussian Optimal Control Problem
The paper obtains two principal results. First, using a new definition of higher-order (>2) matrix derivatives, the paper derives a recursion for computing any Gaussian multivariate moment. Second, the paper uses this result in a perturbation method to derive equations for computing the 4th-order Taylor-series approximation of the objective function of the linear-quadratic exponential Gaussian (LQEG) optimal control problem. Previously, Karp (1985) formulated the 4th multivariate Gaussian moment in terms of MacRae's definition of a matrix derivative. His approach extends with difficulty to any higher (>4) multivariate Gaussian moment. The present recursion straightforwardly computes any multivariate Gaussian moment. Karp used his formulation of the Gaussian 4th moment to compute a 2nd-order approximation of the finite-horizon LQEG objective function. Using the simpler formulation, the present paper applies the perturbation method to derive equations for computing a 4th-order approximation of the infinite-horizon LQEG objective function. By illustrating a convenient definition of matrix derivatives in the numerical solution of the LQEG problem with the perturbation method, the paper contributes to the computational economist's toolbox for solving stochastic nonlinear dynamic optimization problems.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1_2 (02)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100248|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter A. Zadrozny & Baoline Chen, 1999. "Perturbation Solution of Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 334, Society for Computational Economics.
- Baoline Chen & A. Zadrozny, 2000. "Estimated U.S. Manufacturing Capital And Productivity Based On An Estimated Dynamic Economic Model," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 133, Society for Computational Economics.
- Collard, Fabrice & Juillard, Michel, 2001.
"Accuracy of stochastic perturbation methods: The case of asset pricing models,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 979-999, June.
- Collard, Fabrice & Juillard, Michel, 1999. "Accuracy of stochastic perturbuation methods: the case of asset pricing models," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9922, CEPREMAP.
- Karp, Larry S., 1985. "Higher moments in the linear-quadratic-gaussian problem," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 41-54, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:21:y:2003:i:1_2:p:45-64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.