The Role of Systematic Covariance and Coskewness in the Pricing of Real Estate: Evidence from Equity REITs
This study explores the impact of systematic risk (beta) and systematic coskewness on EREIT returns. The test uses the Skewness Preference CAPM, which includes the impact of the third moment on returns. The findings are that systematic risk impacts return in the predicted manner. However, there is no evidence that systematic coskewness is a determinant of EREIT return, which is contrary to prior findings using other financial instruments. Also, the problem of multicollinearity noted in earlier tests of the model does not occur herein.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni, 1985. "Arbitrage Equilibrium with Skewed Asset Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 299-313, September.
- Liu, Crocker H & Hartzell, David J & Grissom, Terry V, 1992. "The Role of Co-skewness in the Pricing of Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 299-319, September.
- Friend, Irwin & Westerfield, Randolph, 1980. " Co-Skewness and Capital Asset Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(4), pages 897-913, September.
- Lim, Kian-Guan, 1989. "A New Test of the Three-Moment Capital Asset Pricing Model," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 205-216, June.
- Kraus, Alan & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1976. "Skewness Preference and the Valuation of Risk Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1085-1100, September.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:9:n:4:1994:p:421-430. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.