The Effects of Subdivision Design on Housing Values: The Case of Alleyways
Subdivision design likely impacts residential housing values. This study examines the sale prices of houses located in subdivisions utilizing rear-entry alleyways in the Greater Dallas-Fort Worth-Denton metroplex. Regression analysis on a sample of 1,672 home sales, some of which are located on alleyways, reveals statistically significant impacts. Consequently, developers, appraisers, New Urbanists and other real estate participants should consider subdivision design when estimating value for residential dwellings.
Volume (Year): 23 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Izraeli, Oded, 1987. "The effect of environmental attributes on earnings and housing values across SMSAs," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 361-376, November.
- G. Donald Jud & James M. Watts, 1981. "Schools and Housing Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 57(3), pages 459-470.
- Do, A Quang & Wilbur, Robert W & Short, James L, 1994. "An Empirical Examination of the Externalities of Neighborhood Churches on Housing Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 127-136, September.
- Dusansky, Richard & Ingber, Melvin & Karatjas, Nicholas, 1981. "The impact of property taxation on housing values and rents," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 240-255, September.
- Donald C. Guy & John L. Hysom & Stephen R. Ruth, 1985. "The Effect of Subsidized Housing on Values of Adjacent Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 13(4), pages 378-387.
- Mark, Jonathan H. & Goldberg, Michael A., 1986. "A study of the impacts of zoning on housing values over time," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 257-273, November.
- Charles C. Tu & Mark J. Eppli, 1999. "Valuing New Urbanism: The Case of Kentlands," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 425-451.
- David E. Dowall & John D. Landis, 1982. "Land-Use Controls and Housing Costs: An Examination of San Francisco Bay Area Communities," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(1), pages 67-93.
- Henry O. Pollakowski & Susan M. Wachter, 1990. "The Effects of Land-Use Constraints on Housing Prices," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(3), pages 315-324.
- Daniel B. Kohlhepp & Charles A. Ingene, 1979. "The Effect of Municipal Services and Local Taxes on Housing Values," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 7(3), pages 318-343.
- W. Patrick Beaton, 1991. "The Impact of Regional Land-Use Controls on Property Values: The Case of the New Jersey Pinelands," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(2), pages 172-194.
- George R. Parsons & Yangru Wu, 1991. "The Opportunity Cost of Coastal Land-Use Controls: An Empirical Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(3), pages 308-316.