Real Estate Cycles and Their Strategic Implications for Investors and Portfolio Managers in the Global Economy
This study synthesizes relevant research and commentary on real estate cycles in a micro-decision-making context and discusses their strategic implications for investors and portfolio managers. It begins with an extensive review of the macro-economic, micro-economic and practitioner literature on cycles, with special emphasis given to the emerging topic of global real estate cycles. The second major section of the study presents the basic theory of cycles, examines the nature and dynamics of real estate cycles, identifies the many different types of interdependent cycles that affect real estate performance and presents strategies for dealing with multiple interrelated cycles. Understanding the complex and dynamic macro-to-micro cycle relationships is believed to be the foundation for understanding real property performance in a specific market, submarket and site-specific location. Successful cycle strategies that achieve above-market returns over the long run are dependent on this understanding, good market timing and a degree of contrarianism. Eight cycle models are presented in the third major section of the study. Each presents an analytical definition of cycles, seeks to measure cyclical impacts on key investment variables in an ex ante framework and provides insight into some aspect of investment timing or other property/ portfolio decisions. The final major topics addressed are the key strategic and decision implications for investors and portfolio managers, and a proposed cycles research agenda for the future.
Volume (Year): 18 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry Ziering & Elaine M. Worzala, 1997. "The Real Estate Research Interests of the Plan Sponsor Community: Survey Results," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 13(2), pages 115-144.
- Richard Voith & Theodore Crone, 1988. "National Vacancy Rates and the Persistence of Shocks in U.S. Office Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 437-458.
- Stephen A. Pyhrr & Waldo L. Born & James R. Webb, 1990. "Development of a Dynamic Investment Strategy under Alternative Inflation Cycle Scenarios," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(2), pages 177-194.
- Mark Gallagher & Antony P. Wood, 1999. "Fear of Overbuilding in the Office Sector: How Real is the Risk and Can We Predict It?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 17(1), pages 3-32.
- Satyajit Chatterjee, 1999. "Real business cycles: a legacy of countercyclical policies?," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Jan, pages 17-27.
- Wheaton, William C & Torto, Raymond G & Evans, Peter, 1997. "The Cyclic Behavior of the Greater London Office Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 77-92, July.
- Waldo L. Born & Stephen A. Pyhrr, 1994. "Real Estate Valuation: The Effect of Market and Property Cycles," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(4), pages 455-486.
- John S. Hekman, 1985. "Rental Price Adjustment and Investment in the Office Market," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 13(1), pages 32-47.
- Jos Janssen & Bert Kruijt & Barrie Needham, 1994. "The Honeycomb Cycle in Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(2), pages 237-252.
- Jacques Gordon & Paige MosbaughTodd Canter & Todd Canter, 1996. "Integrating Regional Economic Indicators with the Real Estate Cycle," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(3), pages 469-501.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:18:n:1:1999:p:7-68. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.