An Analysis of Office Market Rents: Parameter Constancy and Unobservable Variables
This paper reexamines variations in office building rents using data for a six-year period in a medium-sized city. Previous literature has relied on estimates using OLS estimation of standard fixed-effects models. We test for structural shifts and parameter constancy using random effects on heteroscedastic-autoregressive models and we find that structural shifts occur. Overall, the rent adjustment process does not remain unchanged across different time periods or submarkets.
Volume (Year): 8 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helen Tauchen & Ann D. Witte, 1983. "Increased Costs of Office Building Operation and Construction: Effects on the Costs of Office Space and the Equilibrium Distribution of Offices," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 59(3), pages 324-336.
- John F. Kain, 1989. "The Economics of Architecture and Urban Design: Some Preliminary Findings," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 261-266.
- Kennedy, Peter E, 1981. "Estimation with Correctly Interpreted Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations [The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations]," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 801-801, September.
- Thomas P. Brennan & Roger E. Cannaday & Peter F. Colwell, 1984. "Office Rent in the Chicago CBD," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 243-260.
- William C. Wheaton & Raymond G. Torto, 1988. "Vacancy Rates and the Future of Office Rents," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 430-436.
- Smith, Lawrence B, 1974. "A Note on the Price Adjustment Mechanism for Rental Housing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 478-481, June.
- Kerry D. Vandell & Jonathan S. Lane, 1989. "The Economics of Architecture and Urban Design: Some Preliminary Findings," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 235-260.
- Arthur A. Eubank & C. R. Sirmans, 1979. "The Price Adjustment Mechanism for Rental Housing in the United States," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(1), pages 163-168.
- Stuart A. Gabriel & Frank E. Nothaft, 1988.
"Rental Housing Markets and the Natural Vacancy Rate,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 419-429.
- Stuart A. Gabriel & Frank E. Nothaft, 1987. "Rental housing markets and the natural vacancy rate," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 74, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John S. Hekman, 1985. "Rental Price Adjustment and Investment in the Office Market," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 13(1), pages 32-47.
- Richard Voith & Theodore Crone, 1988. "National Vacancy Rates and the Persistence of Shocks in U.S. Office Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 437-458.
- James R. Frew & G. Donald Jud, 1988. "The Vacancy Rate and Rent Levels in the Commercial Office Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 3(1), pages 1-8.
- Shilling, James D. & Sirmans, C. F. & Corgel, John B., 1987. "Price adjustment process for rental office space," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 90-100, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:8:n:4:1993:p:625-638. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.