Transnational Social Capital And Fdi: Evidence From Italian Associations Worldwide
This paper studies the influence of a country¡¯s transnational social capital - defined as the shared customary values and beliefs of emigrant communities - on its external transactions. It uses Italy¡¯s emigrant associations abroad as a proxy of transnational social capital and measures its effects on Italy¡¯s bilateral FDI. Our results are that the associative activity of emigrants, which partly dates far back into the past, positively and strongly affects the Italian bilateral FDI, especially concerning the countries hosting the older associations and the FDI into Italy.
Volume (Year): 36 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quibria, M.G., 2003. "The Puzzle of Social Capital: A Critical Review," MPRA Paper 2640, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2003.
- James R. Markusen, 2004.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, July.
- Markusen, James R., 2002. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MPRA Paper 8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Kleinert, Jorn & Toubal, Farid, 2006. "Where enterprises lead, people follow? Links between migration and FDI in Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 2017-2036, November.
- Marina Murat & Barbara Pistoresi & Alberto Rinaldi, 2008. "Italian Diaspora and Foreign Direct Investment: A Cliometric Perspective," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 013, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Murat Marina & Pistoresi Barbara & Rinaldi Alberto, 2009. "Reti migratorie e investimenti diretti esteri italiani: una prospettiva cliometrica," Rivista di storia economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 225-254.
- Sarah Y. Tong, 2005. "Ethnic Networks in FDI and the Impact of Institutional Development," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 563-580, November.
- Marina Murat & Barbara Pistoresi, 2009. "Emigrant and immigrant networks in FDI," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(12), pages 1261-1264.
- Marina Murat & Barbara Pistoresi, 2006. "Emigrants and immigrants networks in FDI," Department of Economics 0546, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Paola Bertolini & Francesco Pagliacci & Serena Giannuzzi, 2011. "Le difficoltà d’accesso all’abitazione da parte degli immigrati Una indagine di campo," Department of Economics 0653, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Giuseppe Marotta, 1997. "Does trade credit redistribution thwart monetary policy? Evidence from Italy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(12), pages 1619-1629. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)