Inflationary Threshold Effects In The Relationship Between Financial Development And Economic Growth: Evidence From Taiwan And Japan
This paper employs a threshold regression model to investigate the existence of inflation threshold effects in the relationship between financial development and economic growth. A specific question that is addressed in this paper is what the threshold inflation rates are for Taiwan and Japan. Results indicate that there is one inflation threshold value in Taiwan, whereas there are two in Japan. Earlier studies support the view that financial development may promote economic growth. However, the conclusion drawn from the empirical findings suggests that it can only be achieved under low and moderate inflation. In addition, the threshold level of inflation below which financial development significantly promotes growth is estimated at 7.25% for Taiwan and 9.66% for Japan. The empirical findings from the threshold regression model indicate that inflationary threshold for both countries occurred in the high inflation period of the world energy crises in the 70s.
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor, 1996.
"Does Inflation Matter for Growth?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1503, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2004. "Financial development and economic growth: evidence from panel unit root and cointegration tests," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 55-74, February.
- Singh, Kanhaiya & Kalirajan, Kaliappa, 2003. "The inflation-growth nexus in India: an empirical analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 377-396, June.
- Rousseau, Peter L. & Wachtel, Paul, 2002. "Inflation thresholds and the finance-growth nexus," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 777-793, November.
- Bullard, James & Keating, John W., 1995. "The long-run relationship between inflation and output in postwar economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 477-496, December.
- Larry E. Jones & Rodolfo E. Manuelli, 1993.
"Growth and the Effects of Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
4523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Odedokun, M. O., 1996. "Alternative econometric approaches for analysing the role of the financial sector in economic growth: Time-series evidence from LDCs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 119-146, June.
- Sinha, Dipendra & Macri, Joseph, 2001. "Development and Economic Growth: The Case of Eight Asian Countries," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 54(2), pages 219-234.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:30:y:2005:i:1:p:49-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.