Property Tax and Tenure Choice: Implications for China
This paper examines real property tax as a determinant of tenure choice. The analysis is conducted in two stages. First, parameter estimates for a reduced-form homeownership model are obtained through multivariate logistic regression on data drawn from the U.S. Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP). Second, data from the Chinese Household Income Project (CHIP) is used to obtain predicted homeownership for China by using the SIPP-based model. Actual and predicted values of homeownership in China are presented, and the marginal effect of property tax is computed. Overall, we find that tenure choice is significantly influenced by property tax, even after controlling for a wide range of supply and demand considerations. Furthermore, and in the case of China, we show that the negative impact of property tax on homeownership may be mitigated by corresponding ownership incentives (e.g., tax policy). To the best of our knowledge, this is the first paper to explicitly analyze property tax in this regard. Implications based on the empirical analysis are applicable to the evolution of property tax policy in China.
Volume (Year): 16 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter M. Zorn, 1989. "Mobility-Tenure Decisions and Financial Credit: Do Mortgage Qualification Requirements Constrain Homeownership?," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(1), pages 1-16.
- Matthew Chambers & Carlos Garriga, 2005.
"Accounting for Changes in the Homeownership Rate,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
304, Society for Computational Economics.
- Matthew Chambers & Carlos Garriga & Don E. Schlagenhauf, 2009. "Accounting For Changes In The Homeownership Rate," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(3), pages 677-726, 08.
- Matthew Chambers & Carlos Garriga & Don E. Schlagenhauf, 2007. "Accounting for changes in the homeownership rate," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2007-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Yoshiro Miwa & Matthew Chambers & Carlos Garriga & Don E. Schlagenhauf, 2004. "Accounting for Changes in the Homeownership Rate," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-312, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Matthew Chambers & Carlos Garriga & Don E. Schlagenhauf, 2007. "Accounting for changes in the homeownership rate," Working Papers 2007-034, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Hongwei Wang & Ko Wang, 2012. "What is Unique about Chinese Real Estate Markets?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 34(3), pages 275-290.
- L. Jide Iwarere & John E. Williams, 1991. "A Micro-Market Analysis of Tenure Choice Using the Logit Model," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(3), pages 327-340.
- Polinsky, A. Mitchell & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1978. "The long-run effects of a residential property tax and local public services," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 241-262, April.
- Coulson, N Edward, 2002. "Regional and State Variation in Homeownership Rates; or If California's Home Prices Were As Low As Pennsylvania's Would Its Ownership Rate Be As High?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 261-76, May.
- Songtao Wang & Su Han Chan & Bohua Xu, 2012. "The Estimation and Determinants of the Price Elasticity of Housing Supply: Evidence from China," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 34(3), pages 311-344.
- Oates, Wallace E, 1969. "The Effects of Property Taxes and Local Public Spending on Property Values: An Empirical Study of Tax Capitalization and the Tiebout Hypothesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(6), pages 957-71, Nov./Dec..
- Alm, James & Buschman, Robert D. & Sjoquist, David L., 2011.
"Rethinking local government reliance on the property tax,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 320-331, July.
- James Alm & Robert D. Buschman & David L. Sjoquist, 2012. "Rethinking Local Government Reliance on the Property Tax," Working Papers 1215, Tulane University, Department of Economics.
- Lutz, Byron & Molloy, Raven & Shan, Hui, 2011.
"The housing crisis and state and local government tax revenue: Five channels,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 306-319, July.
- Byron F. Lutz & Raven S. Molloy & Hui Shan, 2010. "The housing crisis and state and local government tax revenue: five channels," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-49, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bostic, Raphael W & Surette, Brian J, 2001. "Have the Doors Opened Wider? Trends in Homeownership Rates by Race and Income," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 411-34, November.
- Gabriel, Stuart & Painter, Gary, 2003. "Pathways to Homeownership: An Analysis of the Residential Location and Homeownership Choices of Black Households in Los Angeles," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 87-109, July.
- Painter, Gary & Redfearn, Christian L, 2002. "The Role of Interest Rates in Influencing Long-Run Homeownership Rates," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2-3), pages 243-67, Sept.-Dec.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Luz A. Saavedra, 2000.
"Do Local Governments Engage in Strategic Property-Tax Competition?,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0357, Econometric Society.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Saavedra, Luz A., 2001. "Do Local Governments Engage in Strategic Property-Tax Competition?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 54(n. 2), pages 203-30, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:16:n:03:2013:p:323-343. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.