Housing Policy and Mortgage Finance in Turkey During the Late 1990s Inflationary Period
This paper evaluates the Turkish government’s housing policy for financing the public sector housing and examines the desirability of wage-indexed payment mortgage (WIPM) contract from the lenders perspective. The WIPM contract introduced in 1998 differs from the standard index-linked mortgages in that it is based on the Civil Servant’s Wage Index and there is no amortization rate. From the lender’s perspective, the WIPMs are found to be desirable mortgage instruments in periods of persistent high inflation because they eliminate the real interest rate risk and credit risk of the ARM and the ‘wealth risk’ of a nominal FRM.
Volume (Year): 7 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2002.
"Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2002
47, Society for Computational Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2003. "Household Risk Management And Optimal Mortgage Choice," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1449-1494, November.
- John Y. Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2002. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1946, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Joao Cocco & John Campbell, 2004. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 646, Econometric Society.
- John Y. Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2003. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," NBER Working Papers 9759, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John & Cocco, Joao, 2003. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Scholarly Articles 3157876, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Joao Cocco & John Campbell, 2004. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 632, Econometric Society.
- Titman, Sheridan D & Torous, Walter N, 1989. " Valuing Commercial Mortgages: An Empirical Investigation of the Contingent-Claims Approach to Pricing Risky Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 345-73, June.
- Gerald Buetow, Jr. & Joseph Albert, 1998. "The Pricing of Embedded Options in Real Estate Lease Contracts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 15(3), pages 253-266.
- Taewon Kim, 1987. "A Contingent Claims Analysis of Price Level-Adjusted Mortgages," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(3), pages 117-131.
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. " Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-76, July.
- Kau, James B, et al, 1992. "A Generalized Valuation Model for Fixed-Rate Residential Mortgages," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(3), pages 279-99, August.
- Arthur L. Houston, 1988. "A Comparison of the Reinvestment Risk of the Price Level Adjusted Mortgage and the Standard Fixed Payment Mortgage," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(1), pages 34-49.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1998.
"Indexed Units of Account: Theory and Assessment of Historical Experience,"
NBER Working Papers
6356, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Shiller, 2002. "Indexed Units of Account: Theory and Assessment of Historical Experience," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Fernando Lefort & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Serie (ed.), Indexation, Inflation and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 4, pages 105-134 Central Bank of Chile.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1998. "Indexed Units of Account: Theory and Assessment of Historical Experience," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1171, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Robert Shiller, 1998. "Indexed Units of Account: Theory and Assessment of Historical Experience," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 28, Central Bank of Chile.
- Peter J. Elmer, 1992. "PLAM Default Risk," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(2), pages 157-168.
- Beaglehole, David & Tenney, Mark, 1992. "Corrections and additions to 'a nonlinear equilibrium model of the term structure of interest rates'," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 345-353, December.
- Statman, Meir, 1982. "Fixed Rate or Index-Linked Mortgages from the Borrower's Point of View: A Note," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 451-457, September.
- James B. Kau & Donald C. Keenan & Walter J. Muller & James F. Epperson, 1990. "The Valuation and Analysis of Adjustable Rate Mortgages," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(12), pages 1417-1431, December.
- Hakan Berument & Kamuran Malatyali, 1999. "Determinants of interest rates in Turkey," Discussion Papers 9902, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:07:n:01:2004:p:98-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.