TOM: Why Isn’t Price Enough?
In an efficient market, differences in quality should be fully reflected in differences in price. This paper examines a highly active residential property market and verifies whether housing attributes can explain time on the market (TOM) in addition to prices. In contrast to the previous literature, only the price ratio and inflation factor are found to be critical in affecting TOM. An interpretation of the results is suggested, along with some directions for future research.
Volume (Year): 5 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.asres.org/Email:
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles K. Y. Leung & Garion C. K. Lau & Youngman C. F. Leong, 2002. "Testing Alternative Theories of the Property Price-Trading Volume Correlation," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 23(3), pages 253-264.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1987.
"Temporal aggregation and structural inference in macroeconomics,"
306, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1987. "Temporal aggregation and structural inference in macroeconomics," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 63-130, January.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin S. Eichenbaum, 1986. "Temporal Aggregation and Structural Inference in Macroeconomics," NBER Technical Working Papers 0060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Steven G. Rivkin & Lori L. Taylor, 1996.
"Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources,"
NBER Working Papers
5548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanushek, Eric A & Rivkin, Steven G & Taylor, Lori L, 1996. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 611-27, November.
- Hanushek, E-A & Rivkin, S-G & Taylor, L-L, 1995. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," RCER Working Papers 397, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Taylor, Curtis R, 1999. "Time-on-the-Market as a Sign of Quality," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 555-78, July.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "The Role of the List Price in Housing Markets: Theory and an Econometric Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 115-29, April-Jun.
- David Genesove & Christopher J. Mayer, 1994.
"Equity and Time to Sale in the Real Estate Market,"
NBER Working Papers
4861, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Genesove, D. & Mayer, C.J., 1994. "Equity and Time to Sale in the Real Estate Market," Working papers 94-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- David Genesove & Christopher J. Mayer, 1993. "Equity and time to sale in the real estate market," Working Papers 93-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Chong, Terence Tai-Leung, 2001.
"Structural Change In Ar(1) Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 87-155, February.
- Merlo, Antonio & Ortalo-Magne, Francois, 2004.
"Bargaining over residential real estate: evidence from England,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 192-216, September.
- Antonio M. Merlo & François Ortalo-Magné, 2002. "Bargaining over Residential Real Estate: Evidence from England," CESifo Working Paper Series 778, CESifo Group Munich.
- François Ortalo-Magné & Antonio Merlo, 2002. "Bargaining over Residential Real Estate: Evidence from England," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 02-02, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Terence Chong, 2001. "Estimating the locations and number of change points by the sample-splitting method," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 53-79, January.
- Chen, Y. & Rosenthal, R.W., 1993.
"Asking Prices as Commitment Devices,"
42, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Donald Haurin, 1988. "The Duration of Marketing Time of Residential Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 396-410.
- Michel Glower & Donald R. Haurin & Patric H. Hendershott, 1998. "Selling Time and Selling Price: The Influence of Seller Motivation," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 719-740.
- Asabere, Paul K & Huffman, Forrest E & Johnson, Rose L, 1996. "Contract Expiration and Sales Price," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 255-62, November.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & David Marshall, 1990.
"The permanent income hypothesis revisited,"
129, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Randall Wright, 2002. "Competitive Pricing and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Jud, G Donald & Winkler, Daniel T & Kissling, Grace E, 1995. "Price Spreads and Residential Housing Market Liquidity," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 251-60, November.
- Han Bin Kang & Mona J. Gardner, 1989. "Selling Price and Marketing Time in the Residential Real Estate Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(1), pages 21-35.
- Chen, Nan-Kuang, 2001. "Bank net worth, asset prices and economic activity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 415-436, October.
- G. Donald Jud & Terry G. Seaks & Daniel T. Winkler, 1996. "Time on the Market: The Impact of Residential Brokerage," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(3), pages 447-458.
- Moen, Espen R, 1997.
"Competitive Search Equilibrium,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 385-411, April.
- Abdullah Yavaş, 1992. "A Simple Search and Bargaining Model of Real Estate Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(4), pages 533-548.
- Eugene Kandel & Avi Simhon, 2002. "Between Search and Walras," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(1), pages 59-85, January.
- Fred A. Forgey & Ronald C. Rutherford & Thomas M. Springer, 1996. "Search and Liquidity in Single-Family Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(3), pages 273-292.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:05:n:01:2002:p:91-115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.