—Customer Satisfaction-Based Mispricing: Issues and Misconceptions
We appreciate the opportunity to respond to the commentaries and additional analyses by Fornell et al. [Fornell, C., S. Mithas, F. V. Morgeson III. 2009a. The economic and statistical significance of stock returns on customer satisfaction. . (5) 820–825] and Ittner et al. [Ittner, C., D. Larcker, D. Taylor. 2009. The stock market's pricing of customer satisfaction. (5) 826–835]. Both studies have multiple theoretical and econometric limitations that challenge the validity of their arguments and findings (e.g., neither study allows for time-varying risk factor loadings in their assessments of mispricing although the composition of firms in their analyzed portfolios changes over time, Fornell et al. mischaracterize the efficient markets hypothesis, and Ittner et al. do not use standard panel data econometric methods and models). Generalizations about customer satisfaction, like any other construct, should be assessed by appropriate econometric methods and should withstand rigorous scrutiny. We believe an open, frank dialogue can help clear up misconceptions, air central issues, and advance better understanding of methods and analyses for assessing the financial market implications of marketing metrics such as customer satisfaction.
Volume (Year): 28 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (09-10)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F., 1998.
"Market efficiency, long-term returns, and behavioral finance,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 283-306, September.
- Eugene F. Fama, . "Market Efficiency, Long-term Returns, and Behavioral Finance," CRSP working papers 340, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Eugene F Fama, . "Market Efficiency, Long-Term Returns, and Behavioral Finance," CRSP working papers 448, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2000. "Do firms mislead investors by overstating earnings before seasoned equity offerings?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 339-371, June.
- Taylor, William E., 1980. "Small sample considerations in estimation from panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 203-223, June.
- LeRoy, Stephen F, 1989. "Efficient Capital Markets and Martingales," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 27(4), pages 1583-1621, December.
- Eugene W. Anderson & Claes Fornell & Roland T. Rust, 1997. "Customer Satisfaction, Productivity, and Profitability: Differences Between Goods and Services," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(2), pages 129-145.
- Jonathan Lewellen & Stefan Nagel, 2003.
"The Conditional CAPM does not Explain Asset-Pricing Anamolies,"
NBER Working Papers
9974, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lewellen, Jonathan & Nagel, Stefan, 2006. "The conditional CAPM does not explain asset-pricing anomalies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 289-314, November.
- Lewellen, Jonathan & Nagel, Stefan, 2003. "The Conditional CAPM Does Not Explain Asset-pricing Anomalies," Working papers 4427-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- S.P. Kothari, 2001. "Evaluating Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(5), pages 1985-2010, October.
- Allan C. Eberhart & William F. Maxwell & Akhtar R. Siddique, 2004. "An Examination of Long-Term Abnormal Stock Returns and Operating Performance Following R&D Increases," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 623-650, 04.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2009.
"Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 435-480, January.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2005. "Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches," NBER Working Papers 11280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kormendi, Roger & Lipe, Robert, 1987. "Earnings Innovations, Earnings Persistence, and Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(3), pages 323-45, July.
- Robert Jacobson & Natalie Mizik, 2009. "The Financial Markets and Customer Satisfaction: Reexamining Possible Financial Market Mispricing of Customer Satisfaction," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(5), pages 810-819, 09-10.
- Claes Fornell & Sunil Mithas & Forrest V. Morgeson, III, 2009. "—The Economic and Statistical Significance of Stock Returns on Customer Satisfaction," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(5), pages 820-825, 09-10.
- Ittner, Christopher D. & Larcker, David F. & Taylor, Daniel J., 2009. "The Stock Market's Pricing of Customer Satisfaction," Research Papers 2036, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Dennis Kristensen & Andrew Ang, 2009.
"Testing Conditional Factor Models,"
CREATES Research Papers
2009-09, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- repec:cdl:ucsbec:13-89 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1997. "Industry costs of equity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 153-193, February.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kothari, S. P., 2001. "Capital markets research in accounting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 105-231, September.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Christopher Ittner & David Larcker & Daniel Taylor, 2009. "—The Stock Market's Pricing of Customer Satisfaction," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(5), pages 826-835, 09-10.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormksc:v:28:y:2009:i:5:p:836-845. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.