The Effect of Credit on Spending Decisions: The Role of the Credit Limit and Credibility
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Ford, Gary T & Smith, Darlene B & Swasy, John L, 1990. " Consumer Skepticism of Advertising Claims: Testing Hypotheses from Economics of Information," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(4), pages 433-441, March.
- Garcia, Gillian, 1980. " Credit Cards: An Interdisciplinary Survey," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(4), pages 327-337, March.
- Richard H. Thaler, 2008. "Mental Accounting and Consumer Choice," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 15-25, 01-02.
- Stephen Johnson & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & William Samuelson, 1987. "Can People Compute? An Experimental Test of the Life Cycle Consumption Model," NBER Working Papers 2183, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schelling, Thomas C, 1984. "Self-Command in Practice, in Policy, and in a Theory of Rational Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 1-11, May.
- Drazen Prelec & George Loewenstein, 1998. "The Red and the Black: Mental Accounting of Savings and Debt," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(1), pages 4-28.
- Ferber, Robert, 1973. "Consumer Economics, A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 11(4), pages 1303-1342, December.
- Heath, Chip & Soll, Jack B, 1996. " Mental Budgeting and Consumer Decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 40-52, June.
- Feinberg, Richard A, 1986. " Credit Cards as Spending Facilitating Stimuli: A Conditioning Interpretation," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(3), pages 348-356, December.
- Milton Friedman, 1957. "A Theory of the Consumption Function," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie57-1, July-Dec.
- Hirschman, Elizabeth C, 1979. " Differences in Consumer Purchase Behavior by Credit Card Payment System," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 58-66, June.
- Soman, Dilip, 2001. " Effects of Payment Mechanism on Spending Behavior: The Role of Rehearsal and Immediacy of Payments," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(4), pages 460-474, March.
- Milton Friedman, 1957. "Introduction to "A Theory of the Consumption Function"," NBER Chapters,in: A Theory of the Consumption Function, pages 1-6 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shefrin, Hersh M & Thaler, Richard H, 1988. "The Behavioral Life-Cycle Hypothesis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(4), pages 609-643, October.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Samuelson, William & Johnson, Stephen, 1988. "Consumption, Computation Mistakes, and Fiscal Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 408-412, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ranyard, Rob & Hinkley, Lisa & Williamson, Janis & McHugh, Sandie, 2006. "The role of mental accounting in consumer credit decision processes," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 571-588, August.
- Carol C. Bertaut & Michael Haliassos, 2001. "Debt Revolvers for Self Control," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0208, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Jonathan K. Budd & Peter G. Taylor, 2015. "Calculating optimal limits for transacting credit card customers," Papers 1506.05376, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2015.
- Cliff Robb, 2011. "Financial Knowledge and Credit Card Behavior of College Students," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 690-698, December.
- repec:taf:applec:v:49:y:2017:i:24:p:2365-2378 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lonnie Turpin & Matiur Rahman & Alberto Marquez, 2016. "Optimization over a collection of decision trees with three-valued outcomes," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 36(4), pages 1959-1965.
- Till Treeck, 2014. "Did Inequality Cause The U.S. Financial Crisis?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 421-448, July.
- Markus Christen & Ruskin Morgan, 2005. "Keeping Up With the Joneses: Analyzing the Effect of Income Inequality on Consumer Borrowing," Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME), Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 145-173, June.
- So, Meko M.C. & Thomas, Lyn C., 2011. "Modelling the profitability of credit cards by Markov decision processes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(1), pages 123-130, July.
- Nofsinger, John R., 2012. "Household behavior and boom/bust cycles," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 161-173.
- Till van Treeck, 2012. "Did inequality cause the U.S. financial crisis?," IMK Working Paper 91-2012, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Miotto, Ana Paula S. C. & Parente, Juracy, 2015. "Antecedentes e consequências do gerenciamento das finanças domésticas na classe média baixa brasileira," RAE - Revista de Administração de Empresas, FGV-EAESP Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo (Brazil), vol. 55(1), January.
- Margaret S. Trench & Shane P. Pederson & Edward T. Lau & Lizhi Ma & Hui Wang & Suresh K. Nair, 2003. "Managing Credit Lines and Prices for Bank One Credit Cards," Interfaces, INFORMS, vol. 33(5), pages 4-21, October.
- Hoelzl, Erik & Kamleitner, Bernadette & Kirchler, Erich, 2011. "Loan repayment plans as sequences of instalments," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 621-631, August.
- Xinhua Gu & Bihong Huang & Pui Sun Tam & Yang Zhang, 2015. "Inequality and Saving: Further Evidence from Integrated Economies," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 15-30, February.
- Guglielmo Forges Davanzati & Andrea Pacella, 2010. "Emulation, indebtedness and income distribution: A monetary theory of production approach," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 7(1), pages 147-165.
- van Treeck, Till. & Sturn, Simon., 2012. "Income inequality as a cause of the Great Recession? : A survey of current debates," ILO Working Papers 994709343402676, International Labour Organization.
- Bertaut, Carol C. & Haliassos, Michael, 2005. "Credit cards: Facts and theories," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/19, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Samuel Sekyi, 2017. "Rural Households’ Credit Access and Loan Amount in Wa Municipality, Ghana," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 7(1), pages 506-514.
- repec:bla:apacel:v:32:y:2018:i:1:p:131-138 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bouyon, Sylvain, 2015. "Towards a Balanced Contribution of Household Credit to the Economy," ECRI Papers 10554, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- repec:jso:coejbm:v:6:y:2018:i:1:p:66-83 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:ijrema:v:33:y:2016:i:1:p:123-139 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsConsumer Credit; Credit Cards; Intertemporal Choice; Mental Accounting; Self-Control;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormksc:v:21:y:2002:i:1:p:32-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/inforea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.