Desarrollo del mercado de derivados cambiarios en Chile
This article develops an international comparison, characterization and econometric evaluation about the development of Chilean FX derivatives market using a unique database of exchange rate operations performed by residents against domestic and international counterparts. The level of activity of the Chilean spot exchange rate market as well as its transaction costs are similar to those in more advanced economies, and a level of exchange rate derivative market above other emerging economies, yet at a significant distance from developed economies. Also, the article reports a growing number of foreign counterparts and a maturity of derivatives contracts slightly above the world average. From the cross country level regressions, it is worth mentioning the positive role of flexible exchange rate regimes as well as the negative effect of international reserve accumulation on the development of the exchange rate market. It is shown that the Chilean FX activity converges to the levels suggested by the estimation, according to the fundamentals of the economy. Nonetheless, it states at a significant distance from countries like Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.
Volume (Year): 22 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Erasmo Escala 1835, 6500620 Santiago|
Phone: (562) 692-0265
Fax: (562) 692-0303
Web page: http://www.economia.uahurtado.cl/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005.
"Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile,"
Research Department Publications
4363, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons From Australia and Chile," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 313-354.
- Ricardo J Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2004-03, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Jonathan Kearns & Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: lessons from Australia and Chile," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 185, Econometric Society.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," NBER Working Papers 10519, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Cashin & Luis Felipe Céspedes & Ratna Sahay, 2003.
"Commodity Currencies and the Real Exchange Rate,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
236, Central Bank of Chile.
- Matías Tapia & Andrea Tokman, 2004.
"Effects of Foreign Exchange Intervention Under Public Information: the Chilean Case,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
255, Central Bank of Chile.
- Matías Tapia & Andrea Tokman, 2004. "Effects of Foreign Exchange Intervention under Public Information: The Chilean Case," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 215-256, January.
- Fernandez, Viviana, 2003. "What determines market development?: Lessons from Latin American derivatives markets with an emphasis on Chile," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 390-421, October.
- Philippe Jorion, 1996. "Risk and Turnover in the Foreign Exchange Market," NBER Chapters, in: The Microstructure of Foreign Exchange Markets, pages 19-40 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levy-Yeyati, Eduardo & Sturzenegger, Federico, 2005. "Classifying exchange rate regimes: Deeds vs. words," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1603-1635, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ila:anaeco:v:22:y:2007:i:1:p:35-58. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcela Perticara)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.