Profitability, Diversification, and Multinationality in Leading German and UK Firms
This paper analyzes the relationship between product and geographic diversification and profitability in leading German and UK firms. Using a unique and disaggregated dataset, we first link a firm¡¦s level of product and geographic diversification to both industry and firm-specific factors. The impact of the Single European Market and industry type are found to be important in explaining diversification levels. Secondly, during the early 1990s, we find evidence of a curvilinear relationship between profitability and product diversification for German firms but between profitability and geographic diversification for UK firms. Diversification and multinationality are found to be complementary strategies for German firms but substitute strategies for UK firms.
Volume (Year): 4 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Davies, Stephen W. & Rondi, Laura & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2001. "Are multinationality and diversification complementary or substitute strategies?: An empirical analysis on European leading firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1315-1346, September.
- Davies, Stephen & Lyons, Bruce, 1996. "Industrial Organization in the European Union: Structure, Strategy, and the Competitive Mechanism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198289739, December.
- Kendall Roth & David M Schweiger & Allen J Morrison, 1991. "Global Strategy Implementation at the Business Unit Level: Operational Capabilities and Administrative Mechanisms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(3), pages 369-402, September.
- Peter J Buckley, 1988. "The Limits of Explanation: Testing the Internalization Theory of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 181-193, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:4:y:2005:i:2:p:87-105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.