A Model of R&D Capitalization
This paper studies the decision of firms to expense or capitalize R&D expenditures. The firm has an incentive to mismatch the benefits and costs of R&D, expensing a larger portion of R&D when the benefits occur in the long-run and capitalizing a larger portion when the benefits occur in the short-run. There is strategic substitutability between R&D investments and expensing. Accounting standards, market evaluation of capitalization, and firms¡¦ accounting policies can have real effects on innovation.
Volume (Year): 4 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poyago-Theotoky, Joanna, 1998. "R&D Competition in a Mixed Duopoly under Uncertainty and Easy Imitation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 415-428, September.
- Isabel Busom, 2000. "An Empirical Evaluation of The Effects of R&D Subsidies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 111-148.
- Lakdawalla, Darius & Sood, Neeraj, 2004. "Social insurance and the design of innovation incentives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 57-61, October.
- Yuan Ding & Gary Entwistle & Hervé Stolowy, 2003.
"International differences in R&D disclosure practices: Evidence in a French and Canadian context,"
- Yuan, DING & Gary, ENTWISTLE & Hervé, STOLOWY, 2003. "International differences in R&D disclosure practices : evidence in a French and Canadian context," Les Cahiers de Recherche 783, HEC Paris.
- Martin, Stephen & Scott, John T., 2000.
"The nature of innovation market failure and the design of public support for private innovation,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 437-447, April.
- Stephen Martin & John T. Scott, 1999. "The Nature of Innovation Market Failure and the Design of Public Support for Private Innovation," CIE Discussion Papers 1999-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz & Ohno, Yuka, 2002. "Uncertainty, spillovers, and cooperative R&D," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 855-876, June.
- Benoit Mulkay & Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 2000.
"Firm Level Investment and R&D in France and the United States: A Comparison,"
NBER Working Papers
8038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benoît Mulkay & Bronwyn H, Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 2000. "Firm Level Investment and R&D in France and the United States : A Comparison," Working Papers 2000-49, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Benoit Mulkay & Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 2001. "Firm Level Investment and R&D in France and the United States: A Comparison," Economics Papers 2001-W2, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Cazavan-Jeny , Anne & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2003. "Value Relevance of R&D Reporting : A Signaling Interpretation," ESSEC Working Papers DR 03021, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Karolina Ekholm & Johan Torstensson, 1997.
"High-Technology Subsidies in General Equilibrium: A Sector-Specific Approach,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1184-1203, November.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Torstensson, Johan, 1996. "High-Technology Subsidies in General Equilibrium: A Sector-Specific Approach," Working Paper Series 467, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Klette, T.J. & Moen, J. & Griliches, Z., 1999. "Do Subsidies to Commercial R&D Reduce Market Failures? Microeconometric Evaluation Studies," Papers 16/99, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Petrakis, Emmanuel & Poyago-Theotoky, Joanna, 2002. "R&D Subsidies versus R&D Cooperation in a Duopoly with Spillovers and Pollution," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 37-52, March.
- Minoru Kitahara & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2006. "Realized Cost-Based Subsidies For Strategic R&D Investments With "Ex Ante" And "Ex Post" Asymmetries," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(3), pages 438-448.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Dominique Guellec, 1999. "Does government support stimulates private R&D," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6231, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:4:y:2005:i:2:p:107-121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.