Fiscal Transfers, Public Sector Wage Premium and the Effects on Private Wages
We examine the relationship between federal transfers, the existence of a wage premium for the public sector and its effects on private wages in Argentina. The empirical analysis is based on the theoretical presumption that federal fiscal transfers to the different regions are being used to finance more public employment therefore discouraging private activity. The results suggest that the public sector pays a wage premium relative to the private sector. This premium is increasing in the level of per capita federal transfers. There is no evidence of an overall positive effect on wages in the private manufacturing sector. However, we find a significant positive relationship between federal transfers and wages paid to workers with less formal education; for jobs requiring a technical or profesional qualification the relationship is negative. These results broadly support the hypothesis that the private sector faces harder competition in the labour market in provinces which receive larger transfers from the central government.
Volume (Year): XLVII (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Valparaíso s/n - Ciudad Universitaria - (5000) - Córdoba|
Phone: 54 0351 4437300 int 253
Fax: 54 351 433 4436
Web page: http://ief.eco.unc.edu.ar/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:hrv:faseco:3353756 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schiantarelli, Fabio & Perotti, Roberto & Ardagna, Silvia & Alesina, Alberto, 2002.
"Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment,"
4685103, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Ardagna, Silvia & Perotti, Roberto & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits and Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2250, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2000. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 504, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 7207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ief:reveye:v:47:y:2009:i:2:p:41-66. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcelo Coser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.