The role of federal transfers in regional convergence in human development indicators in Argentina
We analyse regional convergence between Argentine provinces in well-being indicators for the period 1970-2001. More specifically, we examine the role of regional public policy in reducing the development gap between the provinces. We find strong evidence of conditional convergence in well-being indicators. However, we find no evidence that redistributive transfers from the federal government to the provinces have had a positive effect on convergence in these indicators. In fact, we find that for some schooling, health and housing measures, the effect of federal transfers on improvement rates might have been contrary to what was expected.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): 27 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Viladomat, 321 entresuelo - 08029 Barcelona, Teléfono y Fax: + 34 933101112, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: www.aecr.org, Web Investigaciones Regionales: www.investigacionesregionales.org|
Phone: +34 93 310 11 12
Fax: +34 93 310 11 12
Web page: http://www.aecr.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Easterly, William, 1999. "Life during Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 239-276, September.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Convergence across States and Regions,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Serge Coulombe & Frank C. Lee, 1995. "Convergence across Canadian Provinces, 1961 to 1991," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 886-898, November.
- Boris Branisa & Adriana Cardozo, 2009. "Regional Growth Convergence in Colombia Using Social Indicators," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 195, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Partha Sen & Emily T. Cremers, 2007.
"The Transfer Paradox in a One-Sector Overlapping Generations Model,"
159, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Cremers, Emily T. & Sen, Partha, 2008. "The transfer paradox in a one-sector overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1995-2012, June.
- Partha Sen & Emily T. Cremers, 2010. "The Transfer Paradox in a One-Sector Overlapping Generations Model," Working Papers id:2851, eSocialSciences.
- Víctor Elías & Rodrigo Fuentes, 1998. "Convergence in the Southern Cone," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 25(2 Year 19), pages 179-189, December.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Bhagwati, Jagdish N., 1982. "Immiserizing transfers from abroad," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 353-364, November.
- Cremers, Emily & Sen, Partha, 2008. "The Transfer Paradox in the One-Sector Overlapping Generations Model," Staff General Research Papers Archive 34855, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Christopher Candelaria & Mary C. Daly & Galina Hale, 2009. "Beyond Kuznets: persistent regional inequality in China," Working Paper Series 2009-07, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Marta Ferreira Dias & Ricardo Silva, 2004. "Central Government Transfers and Regional Convergence in Portugal," ERSA conference papers ersa04p443, European Regional Science Association.
- Richard A. Easterlin, 2000. "The Worldwide Standard of Living since 1800," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(1), pages 7-26, Winter.
- Coulombe, Serge & Lee, Frank C., 1998. "Évolution à long terme de la convergence régionale au Canada," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 74(1), pages 5-27, mars.
- Marcelo Capello & Alberto Figueras & Sebastián Freille & Pedro Esteban Moncarz, 2009. "Fiscal Transfers, Public Sector Wage Premium and the Effects on Private Wages," Revista de Economía y Estadística, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Instituto de Economía y Finanzas, vol. 0(2), pages 41-66, July.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-251, April.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N & Brecher, Richard A & Hatta, Tatsuo, 1983. "The Generalized Theory of Transfers and Welfare: Bilateral Transfers in a Multilateral World," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 606-618, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:invreg:0239. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julieta Llungo-Ortíz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.