Can the matching model account for Spanish unemployment?
This paper aims at explaining the dynamics of the Spanish labour market, focussing in particular on the high persistence of unemployment and the dynamics around the Beveridge curve. We develop a stochastic dynamic general equilibrium model in which we assume that the labour market may be characterised by coordination failures in the matching process between vacancies and the unemployed. The model is then calibrated and simulated for the Spanish economy. Two sources of disturbances are considered: a traditional technological shock that initiates movements along the Beveridge curve; and reallocation shocks that shift the Beveridge curve. Our results suggest that the model is capable of accounting for the main stylised facts characterising the Spanish labour market. We also analyse the movements around the Beveridge curve. Our results also indicate that reallocation shocks are the main source of shocks driving labour market dynamics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain|
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/investigacion/revistas/presentacion.asp Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dolado, Juan J. & Jimeno, Juan F., 1997.
"The causes of Spanish unemployment: A structural VAR approach,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 1281-1307, July.
- Juan J. Dolado & Juan F. Jimeno, "undated". "The causes of Spanish unemployment: A structural VAR apporach," Working Papers 96-19, FEDEA.
- Hansen, Gary D., 1985. "Indivisible labor and the business cycle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 309-327, November.
- Gary Hansen, 2010. "Indivisible Labor and the Business Cycle," Levine's Working Paper Archive 233, David K. Levine.
- Mortensen, Dale & Pissarides, Christopher, 2011. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 1-19.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S., 1995. "A toolkit for analyzing nonlinear dynamic stochastic models easily," Discussion Paper 1995-97, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Harald Uhlig, 1995. "A toolkit for analyzing nonlinear dynamic stochastic models easily," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 101, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Harald Uhlig, 1998. "A Toolkit for Analysing Nonlinear Dynamic Stochastic Models Easily," QM&RBC Codes 123, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Juan José Dolado & Ramón Gómez, 1997. "La relación entre desempleo y vacantes en España: perturbaciones agregadas y de reasignación," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 21(3), pages 441-472, September.
- Gómez, Ramón & Dolado, Juan José, 1997. "La relación entre desempleo y vacantes en España: Perturbaciones agregadas y de reasignación," DE - Documentos de Trabajo. Economía. DE 3882, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Merz, Monika, 1999. "Heterogeneous job-matches and the cyclical behavior of labor turnover," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 91-124, February.
- Merz, Monika, 1995. "Search in the labor market and the real business cycle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 269-300, November.
- Luis A. Puch & Omar Licandro, 1997. "Are there any special features in the Spanish business cycle?," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 21(2), pages 361-394, May.
- Luis Puch & Omar Licandro, "undated". "Are there any special features in the Spanish business cycles?," Working Papers 97-06, FEDEA.
- Cheron, Arnaud & Langot, Francois, 2000. "The Phillips and Beveridge curves revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 371-376, December.
- Chéron, A. & Langot, François, 1999. "The Phillips and Beveridge curves revisited," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9905, CEPREMAP.
- François LANGOT & Muriel PUCCI, 1996. "Participation, unemployment and wage bargaining in a real business cycle model," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1996034, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Marimon, Ramon & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1998. "'Actual' versus 'virtual' employment in Europe Is Spain different?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 123-153, January.
- Marimon, Ramon & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1996. "'Actual' versus 'Virtual' Employment in Europe: Is Spain Different?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1427, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981. "Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Discussion Papers 451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Una-Louise Bell, 1997. "A Comparative Analysis of the Aggregate Matching Process in France, Great Britain and Spain," Working Papers 9721, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982. "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-1370, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Samuel Bentolila, "undated". "Internal migration in Spain," Working Papers 2001-07, FEDEA.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sergio, 1993. "Labor Hoarding and the Business Cycle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 245-273, April.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1990. "Labor Hoarding and the Business Cycle," NBER Working Papers 3556, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andolfatto, David, 1996. "Business Cycles and Labor-Market Search," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 112-132, March.
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
- Jacques, J.F. & Langot, F., 1992. "Persistance du chomage et marche du travail, la dynamique de la courbe de beveridge," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 92.34, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 1999. "Macroeconomics of Self-fulfilling Prophecies, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062038, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)