On international financial spillovers to frontier markets
We explore the degree to which stock index returns and conditional volatility of 21 frontier markets were affected by fluctuations on the US stock market between December 1st 2005 and January 15th 2010. We find weak, positive return spillovers from the USA to 17 frontier markets. For four countries, Jordan, Lebanon, Nigeria, and Kenya, we find weak negative return spillovers from the USA, implying possible diversification opportunities. For 13 markets, the influence of past local shocks is greater than the influence of current shocks from the USA, and for 16 markets, local past volatility has stronger impact than volatility from the USA.
Volume (Year): 5 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID==310|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2009.
"Volatility Spillovers and Contagion from Mature to Emerging Stock Markets,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
873, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2013. "Volatility Spillovers and Contagion from Mature to Emerging Stock Markets," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(5), pages 1060-1075, November.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & John Beirne & Nicola Spagnolo, 2008. "Volatility Spillovers and Contagion from Mature to Emerging Stock Markets," IMF Working Papers 08/286, International Monetary Fund.
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2009. "Volatility Spillovers and Contagion from Mature to Emerging Stock Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2545, CESifo Group Munich.
- Beirne, John & Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Schulze-Ghattas, Marianne & Spagnolo, Nicola, 2009. "Volatility spillovers and contagion from mature to emerging stock markets," Working Paper Series 1113, European Central Bank.
- Pollard, Stephen K. & Sapra, Sunil K. & Canarella, Giorgio, 2007.
"Asymmetry and Spillover Effects in the North American Equity Markets,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 1, pages 1-52.
- Canarella, Giorgio & Sapra, Sunil K. & Pollard, Stephen K., 2007. "Asymmetry and Spillover Effects in the North American Equity Markets," Economics Discussion Papers 2007-35, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Silvia Sgherri & Alessandro Galesi, 2009. "Regional Financial Spillovers Across Europe; A Global VAR Analysis," IMF Working Papers 09/23, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2002.
"Financial turmoil: Systemic or regional?,"
13195, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo & Nicola Spagnolo, 2002.
"A Test for Volatility Spillovers,"
Public Policy Discussion Papers
02-04, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009. "The economic and fiscal consequences of financial crises," MPRA Paper 13025, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baur, Dirk & Jung, Robert C., 2006. "Return and volatility linkages between the US and the German stock market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 598-613, June.
- Balazs Egert & Evzen Kocenda, 2005.
"Contagion Across and Integration of Central and Eastern European Stock Markets: Evidence from Intraday Data,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp798, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Egert, Balazs & Kocenda, Evzen, 2007. "Interdependence between Eastern and Western European stock markets: Evidence from intraday data," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 184-203, June.
- Gebka, Bartosz & Serwa, Dobromil, 2007. "Intra- and inter-regional spillovers between emerging capital markets around the world," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 203-221, June.
- Yu, Jung-Suk & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2008. "Global and regional integration of the Middle East and North African (MENA) stock markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 482-504, August.
- Gebka, Bartosz & Serwa, Dobromil, 2006. "Are financial spillovers stable across regimes?: Evidence from the 1997 Asian crisis," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 301-317, October.
- Hisashi Tanizaki & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2009. "Volatility transmission between Japan, UK and USA in daily stock returns," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 27-54, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijecbr:v:5:y:2013:i:4:p:433-452. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.