Global and regional integration of the Middle East and North African (MENA) stock markets
We investigate financial integration of MENA region to facilitate a more in-depth exploration of the structure of interdependence and transmission mechanism of stock returns and volatility between MENA and world stock markets. The EGARCH-M models with a generalized error distribution are employed to consider both leverage effect of negative shocks and leptokurtosis prevalent in the MENA stock markets. The estimation results of multivariate AR-GARCH models indicate that there are large and predominantly positive volatility spillovers and volatility persistence in conditional volatility between MENA and world stock markets. Own-volatility spillovers are generally higher than cross-volatility spillovers for all the markets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2003. "Emerging markets finance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 3-56, February.
- Yiu Kuen Tse & Albert K. C. Tsui, 2000.
"A Multivariate GARCH Model with Time-Varying Correlations,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0250, Econometric Society.
- Y.K. Tse & Albert K.C. Tsui, 2000. "A Multivariate GARCH Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Econometrics 0004007, EconWPA.
- Y. K. Tse & Albert K. C. Tsui, 2000. "A Multivariate GARCH Model with Time-Varying correlations," Econometrics 0004010, EconWPA.
- Haque, Mahfuzul & Kabir Hassan, M. & Varela, Oscar, 2004. "Safety-first portfolio optimization for US investors in emerging global, Asian and Latin American markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 91-116, January.
- Sola, Martin & Spagnolo, Fabio & Spagnolo, Nicola, 2002.
"A test for volatility spillovers,"
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 77-84, June.
- Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo & Nicola Spagnolo, 2002. "A Test for Volatility Spillovers," Public Policy Discussion Papers 02-04, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo & Nicola Spagnolo, 2002. "A Test for Volatility Spillovers," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 02-04, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Baxter, M. & Crucini, M., 1991.
"Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade,"
RCER Working Papers
316, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Baxter, Marianne & Crucini, Mario J, 1995. "Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(4), pages 821-54, November.
- Marianne Baxter & Mario J. Crucini, 1992. "Business cycles and the asset structure of foreign trade," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 59, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Marianne Baxter & Mario J. Crucini, 1994. "Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade," NBER Working Papers 4975, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2002. "Research in emerging markets finance: looking to the future," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 429-448, December.
- M. Hassan & Benito Sanchez & Geoffrey Ngene & Ali Ashraf, 2012.
"Financial Liberalization and Foreign Bank Entry on the Domestic Banking Performance in MENA Countries,"
African Development Review,
African Development Bank, vol. 24(3), pages 195-207.
- M. Kabir Hassan & Benito Sanchez & Geoffrey M. Ngene & Ali Ashraf, 2012. "Financial Liberalization and Foreign Bank Entry on the Domestic Banking Performance in MENA Countries," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 24(3), pages 195-207, 09.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2000. "Introduction to "Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies"," NBER Chapters, in: Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies, pages 1-12 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kabir Hassan, M. & Maroney, Neal C. & Monir El-Sady, Hassan & Telfah, Ahmad, 2003. "Country risk and stock market volatility, predictability, and diversification in the Middle East and Africa," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 63-82, March.
- Ali F. Darrat & Khaled Elkhal & Sam R. Hakim, 2000. "On the Integration of Emerging Stock Markets in the Middle East," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 25(2), pages 119-129, December.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2000. "Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number edwa00-1, December.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Jian Yang & James Kolari & Insik Min, 2003. "Stock market integration and financial crises: the case of Asia," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 477-486.
- Kim, S.W. & Rogers, J.H., 1993.
"International Stock Price Spillovers and Market Liberalization: Evidence from Korea, Japan, and the United States,"
4-93-7, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Kim, Sang W. & Rogers, John H., 1995. "International stock price spillovers and market liberalization: Evidence from Korea, Japan, and the United States," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 117-133, June.
- Sang W. Kim & John H. Rogers, 1995. "International stock price spillovers and market liberalization: evidence from Korea, Japan, and the United States," International Finance Discussion Papers 499, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bessler, David A. & Yang, Jian, 2003. "The structure of interdependence in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 261-287, April.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:quaeco:v:48:y:2008:i:3:p:482-504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.