Changes in Stock Markets Interdependencies as a Result of the Global Financial Crisis: Empirical Investigation on the CEE Region
This paper investigates causal relationships and short-term interaction mechanisms among six Central and Eastern European stock markets and the USA stock exchange, while paying special consideration to the effects of the 2007-2009 global financial crisis. We employ daily observations for the six CEE stock indexes and also for the US market covering the period January 2006-March 2009, which is subsequently divided into two sub-periods corresponding to the pre-crisis and crisis period. The study reveals that the relationships among CEE stock markets are time varying. While before the crisis stock market linkages are limited, we find that during crisis these interactions become significantly stronger. Our results further suggest that the potential for diversifying risk by investing in different CEE markets is limited during financial turmoil. Other findings reveal the leading role of the Russian market in the CEE regionbefore the crisis. Also, before the crisis CEE markets were significantly influenced by innovations in the USA market, thus explaining why they were affected heavily by the crisis, which has managed to spread immediately in the region.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Gaston Gelos & Ratna Sahay, 2001.
"Financial market spillovers in transition economies,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 9(1), pages 53-86, March.
- Ratna Sahay & R. G Gelos, 2000. "Financial Market Spillovers in Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 00/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Chung, Pin J. & Liu, Donald J., 1994. "Common stochastic trends in pacific rim stock markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 241-259.
- Jian Yang & James Kolari & Insik Min, 2003. "Stock market integration and financial crises: the case of Asia," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 477-486.
- Bessler, David A. & Yang, Jian, 2003. "The structure of interdependence in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 261-287, April.
- Miron, Dumitru & Tudor, Cristiana, 2010. "Asymmetric Conditional Volatility Models: Empirical Estimation and Comparison of Forecasting Accuracy," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), September.
- Pretorius, Elna, 2002. "Economic determinants of emerging stock market interdependence," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 84-105, March.
- Bodart, Vincent & Reding, Paul, 1999.
"Exchange rate regime, volatility and international correlations on bond and stock markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 133-151, January.
- Bodart, V. & Reding, P., 1998. "Exchange Rate Regime, Volatility and International Correlations on Bond and Stock Markets," Papers 204, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Sciences Economiques et Sociales.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2003. "Emerging markets finance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 3-56, February.
- Smimou, K., 2011. "Transition to the Euro and its impact on country portfolio diversification," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 88-103, January.
- Van Rijckeghem, Caroline & Weder, Beatrice, 2001. "Sources of contagion: is it finance or trade?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 293-308, August.
- Giorgio De Santis & Selahattin Imrohoroglu, 1994.
"Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- De Santis, Giorgio & imrohoroglu, Selahattin, 1997. "Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 561-579, August.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R, 1995.
" Time-Varying World Market Integration,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 403-44, June.
- Susmel, Raul & Engle, Robert F., 1994. "Hourly volatility spillovers between international equity markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 3-25, February.
- Rakesh Kumar & Raj S. Dhankar, 2010. "Empirical Analysis of Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Time Series of Stock Returns and Asymmetric Effect on Volatility," Global Business Review, International Management Institute, vol. 11(1), pages 21-33, January.
- Lillian Cheung & Laurence Fung & Chi-sang Tam, 2008. "Measuring Financial Market Interdependence and Assessing Possible Contagion Risk in the EMEAP Region," Working Papers 0818, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Booth, G. Geoffrey & Martikainen, Teppo & Tse, Yiuman, 1997. "Price and volatility spillovers in Scandinavian stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 811-823, June.
- Aityan, Sergey K. & Ivanov-Schitz, Alexey K. & Izotov, Sergey S., 2010. "Time-shift asymmetric correlation analysis of global stock markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 590-605, December.
- Chelley-Steeley, Patricia L., 2005. "Modeling equity market integration using smooth transition analysis: A study of Eastern European stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 818-831, September.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Masih, Abul M. M. & Masih, Rumi, 1997. "Dynamic linkages and the propagation mechanism driving major international stock markets: An analysis of the pre- and post-crash eras," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 859-885.
- Tudor, Cristiana, 2009. "Price Ratios and the Cross-section of Common Stock Returns on Bucharest Stock Exchange: Empirical Evidence," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 6(2), pages 132-146, June.
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2002.
"Financial Market Integration in Europe: On the Effects of EMU on Stock Markets,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 165-93, July.
- Fratzscher, M., 2001. "Financial Market Integration in Europe: On the Effects of EMU on Stock Markets," Papers 48, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2001. "Financial market integration in Europe: on the effects of EMU on stock markets," Working Paper Series 0048, European Central Bank.
- Chen, Gong-meng & Firth, Michael & Meng Rui, Oliver, 2002. "Stock market linkages: Evidence from Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1113-1141, June.
- Mervyn A. King & Sushil Wadhwani, 1989.
"Transmission of Volatility Between Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
2910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- Click, Reid W. & Plummer, Michael G., 2005. "Stock market integration in ASEAN after the Asian financial crisis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 5-28, February.
- In, Francis & Kim, Sangbae & Yoon, Jai Hyung & Viney, Christopher, 2001. "Dynamic interdependence and volatility transmission of Asian stock markets: Evidence from the Asian crisis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 87-96.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 1997.
"Emerging equity market volatility,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 29-77, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:voj:journl:v:58:y:2011:i:3:p:525-543. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.