The Internationalization of Venture Capital: Challenges and Opportunities
This paper attempts to summarize and systematize the landscape of the global venture capital industry. It presents major basic business models and investment strategies, assesses the contribution of venture capital (VC) to economic growth, and the incentives and constraints for VC’s development, and it identifies research gaps in this area. Venture capital is often regarded as the only source of support for start-ups, particularly for those in high-tech innovative sectors. The authors explore the reasons for this. In contrast to more traditional investors, VCs provide targeted investment, and they maintain a long-term strategic focus. Financial capital is only one benefit they provide for entrepreneurs. They provide industry knowledge and social capital, often vital for success. Also, venture capital serves as an intermediation device in finding further finance. These benefits focus the attention of public administration in venture capital and pro-investment policies to build strength and assure future competitiveness. The authors conclude that governments can only do so much to spur creative thinking and entrepreneurial activities. Their support is best placed in education, oriented toward a culture which rewards competitive and entrepreneurial thinking. Results of such policy mature slowly but they can be vital. In conclusion, the authors point to the need to introduce new and refined research strategies promoting VC. One key focus to study venture capital is to understand how the industry itself is developing through its own drive. It would help to examine comparatively a country’s initiatives, which would allow policy makers to understand where the industry is going and how best to support or participate in growth. It would also allow distinguishing among segments of the venture capital market. Finally, further analysis of the VC industry should be conducted through the prism of its internationalization. Note: Downloadable document is in Russian.
Volume (Year): 5 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.hse.ru/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Michael C. Jensen, 2010.
"The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(1), pages 43-58.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1994. "The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, And The Failure Of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(4), pages 4-23.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1993. " The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 831-80, July.
- Philippe Desbrières & Sophie Manigart & Koen De Waele & Mike Wright & Ken Robbie & Harry Sapienza & Amy Beekman, 2002.
"Determinants of required return in venture capital investments:A five country study,"
Working Papers CREGO
1020701, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Manigart, Sophie & De Waele, Koen & Wright, Mike & Robbie, Ken & Desbrieres, Philippe & Sapienza, Harry J. & Beekman, Amy, 2002. "Determinants of required return in venture capital investments: a five-country study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 291-312, July.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz & Andrew Weiss, 1984.
"Informational Imperfections in the Capital Market and Macro-Economic Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
1335, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenwald, Bruce & Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1984. "Informational Imperfections in the Capital Market and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 194-99, May.
- Jeng, Leslie A. & Wells, Philippe C., 2000. "The determinants of venture capital funding: evidence across countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 241-289, September.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2002. "Taking risks in regions: the geographical anatomy of Europe's emerging venture capital market," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(2), pages 121-150, April.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997.
"Legal Determinants of External Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1788, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Working Paper 19443, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- RAFAEL LaPORTA & FLORENCIO LOPEZ-de-SILANES & ANDREI SHLEIFER & ROBERT W. VISHNY, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance,"," CRSP working papers 324, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," NBER Working Papers 5879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dean A. Shepherd, 1999. "Venture Capitalists' Assessment of New Venture Survival," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(5), pages 621-632, May.
- Rah, Joongdoug & Jung, Kyungjin & Lee, Jinjoo, 1994. "Validation of the venture evaluation model in Korea," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(6), pages 509-524, November.
- Zak, Paul J & Knack, Stephen, 2001. "Trust and Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(470), pages 295-321, April.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Roure, Juan B. & Keeley, Robert H., 1990. "Predictors of success in new technology based ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 201-220, July.
- Judit Karsai & Mike Wright & Zbigniew Dudzinski & Jan Morovic, 1999. "Venture capital in transition economies: the cases of Hungary, Poland and Slovakia," Chapters, in: Management Buy-outs and Venture Capital, chapter 4 Edward Elgar.
- Roure, Juan B. & Maidique, Modesto A., 1986. "Linking prefunding factors and high-technology venture success: An exploratory study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 295-306.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hig:fsight:v:5:y:2011:i:4:p:66-76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nataliya Gavrilicheva)or (Mikhail Salazkin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.