Byways and Highways of Direct Investment: China and the Offshore World
This paper examines a lacuna in the literature on foreign direct investment (FDI) flows to China: the absence of analysis for the prominent location of small Caribbean and Pacific islands as leading sources of FDI. An indeterminate amount of domestic capital is embedded in these FDI flows, which distorts comparative studies on FDI in developing economies between China and other states. Direct investment from China has also increased in recent years and offshore financial centres (OFCs) often serve as the initial destinations. This paper excavates the rationales behind the presence of OFCs and suggests that Chinese actors will emulate the practices of developed state multinational corporations and high-net-worth individuals. The implications of these investment practices are outlined along with possible trajectories for their impact on the process of financial liberalisation in China. Consequently, it encourages increased Chinese participation in the development of global financial governance.
Volume (Year): 39 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, D-20354 Hamburg|
Phone: +49 (0)40 42825-593
Fax: +49 (0)40 42825-547
Web page: http://www.currentchineseaffairs.org
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.giga-hamburg.de/china-aktuell Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oral H. Williams & Esther C. Suss & Chandima Mendis, 2005. "Offshore Financial Centres in the Caribbean: Prospects in a New Environment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(8), pages 1173-1188, 08.
- Hampton, Mark P. & Christensen, John, 2002. "Offshore Pariahs? Small Island Economies, Tax Havens, and the Re-configuration of Global Finance," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1657-1673, September.
- Schenk, Catherine R., 2002. "Banks and the emergence of Hong Kong as an international financial center," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(4-5), pages 321-340.
- Murali Patibandla, 2007. "Pattern of foreign direct investment in developing economies: a comparative analysis of China and India," International Journal of Management and Decision Making, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(2/3/4), pages 356-377.
- Schenk, Catherine R., 1998. "The Origins of the Eurodollar Market in London: 1955-1963," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 221-238, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gig:chaktu:v:39:y:2010:i:4:p:111-142. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karsten Giese)or (Heike Holbig)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.