Conceptualizing Sustainably Produced Food for Promotional Purposes: A Sustainable Marketing Approach
Progress in transforming current food consumption and production practice in a sustainable direction is slow. Communicative, sustainable consumer policy instruments such as eco-labeling schemes have limited impact outside the green segment and within the mainstream market. This article asks how sustainably produced food can be described in order to promote such food. Based on six cases, it aims to conceptualize the common denominators of sustainable food production by drawing on recent literature on sustainable marketing and on food and sustainable development. Contradictions and implications in terms of labeling schemes, global sourcing and consumer food practice are discussed.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jessica Pape & Henrike Rau & Frances Fahy & Anna Davies, 2011. "Developing Policies and Instruments for Sustainable Household Consumption: Irish Experiences and Futures," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 25-42, March.
- Røpke, Inge, 2009. "Theories of practice -- New inspiration for ecological economic studies on consumption," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(10), pages 2490-2497, August.
- Lansing, J. Stephen & Kremer, James N. & Gerhart, Vanda & Kremer, Patricia & Arthawiguna, Alit & Putu Surata, Sang Kaler & Suprapto & Suryawan, Ida Bagus & Arsana, I. Gusti & Scarborough, Vernon L., 2001. "Volcanic fertilization of Balinese rice paddies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 383-390, September.
- Mária Csutora & Ágnes Zsóka, 2011. "Maximizing the Efficiency of Greenhouse Gas Related Consumer Policy," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 67-90, March.
- John Thøgersen, 2005. "How May Consumer Policy Empower Consumers for Sustainable Lifestyles?," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 143-177, 06.
- Sylvie Bonny, 2011. "Herbicide-tolerant Transgenic Soybean over 15 Years of Cultivation: Pesticide Use, Weed Resistance, and Some Economic Issues. The Case of the USA," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(9), pages 1-21, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jsusta:v:4:y:2012:i:3:p:294-340:d:16419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.