Doomsday for the Euro Area: Causes, Variants and Consequences of Breakup
In this paper we describe the genesis of a doomsday scenario and discuss potential causes and motivations for a breakup of the euro area. For this purpose, we differentiate between the departure of weak and strong countries, and examine the impact of the reintroduction of a national currency on domestic debt, the domestic banking sector, EU membership and the freedom of trade. We also briefly analyze the social and political costs of the accompanying social disorder.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fidrmuc, J. & Horváth, J., 1998.
"Stability of Monetary Unions : Lessons from the Break-Up of Czechoslovakia,"
1998-74, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999. "Stability of monetary unions: Lessons from the break-up of Czechoslovakia," ZEI Working Papers B 17-1999, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999. "Stability of Monetary Unions: Lessons from the Break-up of Czechoslovakia," Transition Economics Series 10, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Alcidi, Cinzia & Giovannini, Alessandro & Gros, Daniel, 2012. "‘Grexit’: Who would pay for it?," CEPS Papers 6977, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Cruces, Juan J. & Trebesch, Christoph, 2013.
"Sovereign defaults: The price of haircuts,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20036, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- repec:rwi:repape:0148 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Ansgar Belke & Matthias Göcke, 2005.
"Real Options Effects on Employment: Does Exchange Rate Uncertainty Matter for Aggregation?,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(2), pages 185-203, 05.
- Belke, Ansgar & Göcke, Matthias, 2004. "Real Options Effects on Employment: Does Exchange Rate Uncertainty Matter for Aggregation?," IZA Discussion Papers 1126, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Belke, Ansgar & Göcke, Matthias & Guenther, Martin, 2009.
"When does it hurt? The exchange rate "pain threshold" for German exports,"
45, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Ansgar Belke & Matthias Göcke & Martin Günther, 2009. "When Does It Hurt?: The Exchange Rate "Pain Threshold" for German Exports," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 943, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Belke, Ansgar & Goecke, Matthias & Guenther, Martin, 2009. "When Does It Hurt? The Exchange Rate ""Pain Threshold"" for German Exports," Ruhr Economic Papers 148, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI), Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Ansgar Belke & Barbara Styczynska, 2006.
"The Allocation of Power in the Enlarged ECB Governing Council: An Assessment of the ECB Rotation Model,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 865-897, December.
- Ansgar Belke & Barbara Styczynska, 2004. "The Allocation of Power in the Enlarged ECB Governing Council: An Assessment of the ECB Rotation Model," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim 242/2004, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2007.
"The Breakup of the Euro Area,"
NBER Working Papers
13393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999. "The Stability of Monetary Unions: Lessons from the Breakup of Czechoslovakia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 753-781, December.
- repec:rwi:repape:0273 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ansgar Belke & Christian Dreger, 2011.
"Ramifications of Debt Restructuring on the Euro Area: The Example of Large European Economies' Exposure to Greece,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1141, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Belke, Ansgar & Dreger, Christian, 2011. "Ramifications of Debt Restructuring on the Euro Area – The Example of Large European Economies' Exposure to Greece," Ruhr Economic Papers 273, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI), Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Belke, Ansgar & Gros, Daniel, 2002. "Monetary integration in the Southern Cone," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 323-349, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jijfss:v:1:y:2012:i:1:p:1-15:d:18753. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.