Doomsday for the Euro Area: Causes, Variants and Consequences of Breakup
In this paper we describe the genesis of a doomsday scenario and discuss potential causes and motivations for a breakup of the euro area. For this purpose, we differentiate between the departure of weak and strong countries, and examine the impact of the reintroduction of a national currency on domestic debt, the domestic banking sector, EU membership and the freedom of trade. We also briefly analyze the social and political costs of the accompanying social disorder.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alcidi, Cinzia & Giovannini, Alessandro & Gros, Daniel, 2012. "‘Grexit’: Who would pay for it?," CEPS Papers 6977, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999.
"Stability of Monetary Unions: Lessons from the Break-up of Czechoslovakia,"
Transition Economics Series
10, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999. "Stability of monetary unions: Lessons from the break-up of Czechoslovakia," ZEI Working Papers B 17-1999, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Fidrmuc, J. & Horváth, J., 1998. "Stability of Monetary Unions : Lessons from the Break-Up of Czechoslovakia," Discussion Paper 1998-74, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Juan J. Cruces & Christoph Trebesch, 2011.
"Sovereign Defaults: The Price of Haircuts,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3604, CESifo Group Munich.
- Belke, Ansgar H. & Göcke, Matthias, 2004.
"Real Options Effects on Employment: Does Exchange Rate Uncertainty Matter for Aggregation?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1126, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ansgar Belke & Matthias Göcke, 2005. "Real Options Effects on Employment: Does Exchange Rate Uncertainty Matter for Aggregation?," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(2), pages 185-203, 05.
- Ansgar Belke & Christian Dreger, 2011.
"Ramifications of Debt Restructuring on the Euro Area: The Example of Large European Economies' Exposure to Greece,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1141, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Belke, Ansgar & Dreger, Christian, 2011. "Ramifications of Debt Restructuring on the Euro Area – The Example of Large European Economies' Exposure to Greece," Ruhr Economic Papers 273, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Ansgar Belke & Barbara Styczynska, 2006.
"The Allocation of Power in the Enlarged ECB Governing Council: An Assessment of the ECB Rotation Model,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 865-897, December.
- Ansgar Belke & Barbara Styczynska, 2004. "The Allocation of Power in the Enlarged ECB Governing Council: An Assessment of the ECB Rotation Model," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim 242/2004, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Ansgar Belke & Matthias Göcke & Martin Günther, 2009.
"When Does It Hurt?: The Exchange Rate "Pain Threshold" for German Exports,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
943, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Belke, Ansgar & Göcke, Matthias & Guenther, Martin, 2009. "When does it hurt? The exchange rate "pain threshold" for German exports," Discussion Papers 45, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Belke, Ansgar & Goecke, Matthias & Guenther, Martin, 2009. "When Does It Hurt? The Exchange Rate ""Pain Threshold"" for German Exports," Ruhr Economic Papers 148, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly,"
Princeton University Press,
edition 1, number 8973, 06-2016.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999. "The Stability of Monetary Unions: Lessons from the Breakup of Czechoslovakia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 753-781, December.
- Belke, Ansgar & Gros, Daniel, 2002. "Monetary integration in the Southern Cone," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 323-349, December.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2007.
"The Breakup of the Euro Area,"
NBER Working Papers
13393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jijfss:v:1:y:2012:i:1:p:1-15:d:18753. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.