The creation of the Euro and the role of the dollar in international markets
Through the post-World War II period, the U.S. dollar has been the leading currency used in international trade and debt contracts. With the creation of the euro, the dollar may finally face a challenge to its dominance in international markets. This article examines the likely effects of the euro on the international use of the dollar. Moreover, the article considers the implications for the United States and the euro area of a rise in the use of the euro and consequent fall in the use of the dollar internationally.
Volume (Year): (2001)
Issue (Month): May ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul R. Krugman, 1979.
"Vehicle Currencies And the Structure Of International Exchange,"
NBER Working Papers
0333, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Vehicle Currencies and the Structure of International Exchange," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 12(3), pages 513-26, August.
- G Alogoskoufis & R Portes & H Rey, 1998.
"The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0388, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 1998. "The emergence of the euro as an international currency," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 305-343, 04.
- Alogoskoufis, George & Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1997. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," CEPR Discussion Papers 1741, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1998. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," NBER Working Papers 6424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alogoskoufis, G. & Portes, R. & Rey, H., 1997. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," DELTA Working Papers 97-28, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Paul Bennett & Kenneth Garbade & John Kambhu, 1999. "Enhancing the Liquidity of U.S. Treasury Securities in an Era of Surpluses," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-083, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Jan A. Kregel, 2000.
"Can European Banks Survive a Unified Currency in a Nationally Segmented Capital Market?,"
- Jan A. Kregel, 2000. "Can European Banks Survive a Unified Currency in a Nationally Segmented Capital Market?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_305, Levy Economics Institute.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Benoît Mojon & Armand-Denis Schor, 1998. "The International Role of the Euro," Working Papers 1998-03, CEPII research center.
- Karen H. Johnson, 1994. "International dimension of European Monetary Union: implications for the dollar," International Finance Discussion Papers 469, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1999.
"Legal Structure, Financial Structure, and the Monetary Policy Transmission Mechanism,"
NBER Working Papers
7151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1999. "Legal structure, financial structure, and the monetary policy transmission mechanism," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 9-28.
- Richard G. Anderson & Robert H. Rasche, 2000. "The domestic adjusted monetary base," Working Papers 2000-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Clemens J. M. Kool, 2000. "International bond markets and the introduction of the Euro," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 41-56.
- Paul Bennett & Kenneth Barbade & John Kambhu, 2000. "Enhancing the liquidity of U.S. Treasury securities in an era of surpluses," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 89-119.
- Paul R Masson & Bart Turtelboom, 1997. "Characteristics of the Euro, the Demand for Reserves, and Policy Coordination Under EMU," IMF Working Papers 97/58, International Monetary Fund.
- George S. Tavlas, 1997. "The International Use of the US Dollar: An Optimum Currency Area Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(6), pages 709-747, 09.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1996. "The Role of the Dollar as an International Currency," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 22(2), pages 127-136, Spring.
- repec:fth:eecero:26 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael P. Dooley & J. Saul Lizondo & Donald J. Mathieson, 1989. "The Currency Composition of Foreign Exchange Reserves," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(2), pages 385-434, June.
- Peter B. Kenen, 1993. "EMU, Exchange Rates and the International Monetary System," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1993022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Douglas Laxton & Eswar S Prasad, 1997. "Possible Effects of European Monetary Union on Switzerland; A Case Study of Policy Dilemmas Caused by Low Inflation and the Nominal Interest Rate Floor," IMF Working Papers 97/23, International Monetary Fund.
- Philipp Hartmann, 1996. "The Future of the Euro as an International Currency: a Transactions Perspective," FMG Special Papers sp91, Financial Markets Group.
- Seitz, Franz, 1995. "The circulation of Deutsche Mark abroad," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 1995,01e, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Grassman, Sven, 1973. "A fundamental symmetry in international payment patterns," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 105-116, May.
- S.A.B. Page, 1981. "The Choice of Invoicing Currency in Merchandise Trade," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 98(1), pages 60-72, November.
- Garry J. Schinasi & Alessandro Prati, 1997. "European Monetary Union and International Capital Markets; Structural Implications and Risks," IMF Working Papers 97/62, International Monetary Fund.
- Ben-Bassat, Avraham, 1980. "The optimal composition of foreign exchange reserves," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 285-295, May.
- Javier Santillán & Marc Bayle & Christian Thygesen, 2000. "The impact of the euro on money and bond markets," Occasional Paper Series 1, European Central Bank.
- Magee, Stephen P & Rao, Ramesh K S, 1980. "Vehicle and Nonvehicle Currencies in International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 368-73, May.
- Michael J. Fleming, 2000. "The benchmark U.S. Treasury market: recent performance and possible alternatives," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 129-145.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlrv:y:2001:i:may:p:17-36:n:v.83no.5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.