The economy and Fed policy: follow the demand
The primary reason unemployment remains high is a lack of demand. An aggregate demand shortfall is exactly the kind of problem monetary policy can address. Thus, we need powerful and continuing monetary stimulus to move toward maximum employment and price stability. ; This letter is adapted from a presentation by the president and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco to The Forecasters Club in New York, New York, on February 21, 2013.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): feb25 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 7702, San Francisco, CA 94120-7702|
Phone: (415) 974-2000
Fax: (415) 974-3333
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ay?egül ?ahin & Joseph Song & Giorgio Topa & Giovanni L. Violante, 2014.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 104(11), pages 3529-3564, November.
- Sahin, Aysegül & Song, Joseph & Topa, Giorgio & Violante, Giovanni L., 2012. "Mismatch unemployment," Staff Reports 566, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, revised 01 Jun 2013.
- Sahin, Aysegul & Song, Joseph & Topa, Giorgio & Violante, Giovanni L, 2012. "Mismatch Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 9093, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ayşegül Şahin & Joseph Song & Giorgio Topa & Giovanni L. Violante, 2012. "Mismatch Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 18265, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reifschneider, David L. & Roberts, John M., 2006. "Expectations formation and the effectiveness of strategies for limiting the consequences of the zero bound," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 314-337, September.
- David L. Reifschneider & John C. Williams, 2000. "Three lessons for monetary policy in a low-inflation era," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, pages 936-978.
- David L. Reifschneider & John C. Williams, 1999. "Three lessons for monetary policy in a low inflation era," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).