Financial Stress Spillover and Financial Linkages between the Euro Area and the Czech Republic
This article analyzes the transmission of financial systemic stress from the euro area to the Czech Republic. We employ a recently developed composite indicator of systemic stress (CISS), which has a unique construction reflecting the correlations between markets and so captures the systemic stress of the financial system. The results from time-varying regression with stochastic volatility estimated using Bayesian inference indicate that the degree of transmission depends significantly on the level of stress, i.e., the intensity of the transmission mechanism itself is given by the magnitude of the shock. Second, the analysis reveals a more complex structure of financial stress linkages between markets on both the domestic and the international level. Finally, the results also support the current findings that the nature of stress is important for the transmission and that the sovereign debt crisis has so far had a limited impact on Czech financial markets.
Volume (Year): 63 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda, 2009.
"Intraday Price Discovery in Emerging European Stock Markets,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp382, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kočenda, 2011. "Foreign News and Spillovers in Emerging European Stock Markets," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 170-188, 02.
- Evzen Kocenda & Jan Hanousek, 2010. "Foreign News and Spillovers in Emerging European Stock Markets," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp983, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Subir Lall & Roberto Cardarelli & Selim Elekdag, 2009. "Financial Stress, Downturns, and Recoveries," IMF Working Papers 09/100, International Monetary Fund.
- Marcello Pericoli & Massimo Sbracia, 2003.
"A Primer on Financial Contagion,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(4), pages 571-608, 09.
- Holló, Dániel & Kremer, Manfred & Lo Duca, Marco, 2012. "CISS - a composite indicator of systemic stress in the financial system," Working Paper Series 1426, European Central Bank.
- Roman Horváth & Michal Franta & Marek Rusnák, 2012.
"Evaluating Changes in the Monetary Transmission Mechanism in the Czech Republic,"
Working Papers IES
2012/11, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Apr 2012.
- Michal Franta & Roman Horvath & Marek Rusnak, 2014. "Evaluating changes in the monetary transmission mechanism in the Czech Republic," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 827-842, May.
- Michal Franta & Roman Horvath & Marek Rusnak, 2011. "Evaluating Changes in the Monetary Transmission Mechanism in the Czech Republic," Working Papers 2011/13, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Balázs Égert & Evžen Kočenda, 2011.
"Time-varying synchronization of European stock markets,"
Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 393-407, April.
- Balázs Égert & Evžen Kocenda, 2007. "Time-Varying Comovements in Developed and Emerging European Stock Markets: Evidence from Intraday Data," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp861, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Evzen Kocenda & Vit Bubak & Filip Zikes, 2011.
"Volatility Transmission in Emerging European Foreign Exchange Markets,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp1020, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bubák, Vít & Kocenda, Evzen & Zikes, Filip, 2011. "Volatility transmission in emerging European foreign exchange markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2829-2841, November.
- Vít Bubák & Evžen Kocenda & Filip Zikes, 2010. "Volatility Transmission in Emerging European Foreign Exchange Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 3063, CESifo Group Munich.
- Illing, Mark & Liu, Ying, 2006. "Measuring financial stress in a developed country: An application to Canada," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 243-265, October.
- Schwaab, Bernd & Koopman, Siem Jan & Lucas, André, 2011. "Systemic risk diagnostics: coincident indicators and early warning signals," Working Paper Series 1327, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:fauart:v:63:y:2013:i:1:p:46-64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.